Rain

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Today we have reicieved the 1st noticable rain in probably the past 6 months. <br />It won't be enough to settle the dust for more than half a day, but at least it will freshen the brown lawn up a bit.<br />We have been in a drought for probably the past 5 yrs. My dam has not been full in all that time. <br />I continually recirculate the water and really need it to overflow at least once a year to flush it. Has been a horrible green colour and stinks.<br />The last drought (3 years before this one) went for 7yrs. <br />There were 8 yrs old kids around that had never seen rain then.<br />The joke was, when it rained, "all the kids started fainting, so they had to chuck buckets of dust over them to bring them around" :D <br />Was a joke, but in reality wasn't far removed from the truth.<br />We keep our garden growing with sullage water. The ultimate in recycling.<br />Fortunately we have town water to the house.<br />Lets hope we get plenty more this spring. Who cares what the humidity goes to.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rain

AHA!!<br /><br />Now we in Texas, who have just had the wettest Summer in history, know where it came from.<br /><br />All your rain came north, KP.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

JB, I don't know about you, but I am thankful for Phil sending us this rain, too.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with both of Ya'll, Not only the wettest but the coolest that I can remember in years. Think we saw at least 7 nights that the temp. got below 70.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's still plenty of rain back home Phil ;) ...although I don't understand why it's so different here, given how close we are to Aussie...

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Can't understand the difference either. W are subtropical BUT have that massive expance of interior to our West, it sort of makes sence.<br />Our rain comes in Spring and late Summer. That's pretty much it. But the highest falls of Rain come from Cyclones when they move over from New Caledonia into the Coral Sea.<br />If my memory serves me correctly, we can have around .5m (19 inches) in a few days, and I mean like 2-3 days.<br />My dam holds only 3 million litres, but I have known it to fill, and then overflow in under and hour.<br />Then again, I believe the Hurricanes Florida is getting is pretty much what we call a Cyclone. I know we like them but sure as hell don't want them to cross the coast.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip