Rain Downunder...finally

Kiwi Phil

Commander
We have just had our first decent rain in the last 5yrs.<br />Got about 150mls (6in) here. It has raised the level of my dam about 1m (39in), but it still needs another 2m before the overflow starts running. <br />I am desperate for that to happen to flush the rotten green stinking water out.<br />I am not going to complain though. I will have enough water if I use it wisely to keep the nursery going for another 12-18mths with the flood and drain irrigation system I use.<br />Now I need the 'duck weed' to grow back in spring and cover the surface completely to prevent evaporation.<br />Our town water supply is now at 38% capacity.<br />Probably of little interest to most of you, but these are the sort of things we have to concern ourselves with down here.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rain Downunder...finally

Saw that on the news Phil. It looked like the town took a dumping though. Flooding by the Queensland border. 200mm they said there, saw a caravan park being emptied out by the water. <br />You might get your wish to clean the green water out yet!<br />Enjoy!<br />Ross

Dunaruna

Admiral

It's great to hear about your water storage levels, I hope it continues to rain (for a few weeks anyway :cool: ).<br /><br />On a sadder note, two people missing in the floods in the goldcoast - any news on that Phil?<br /><br />Aldo

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, that is good news, Phil. :)

Gee, every time we get a good rainfall here the internet connection goes to pot. Maybe we have a clue as to the troubles you were experiencing - The Phone lines were to dry! :) ;) ;) :D :wink:D<br />Do the toilets really flush is the opposite rotation down under?

eeboater

Commander

TS, I think to them --- our toilets flush in the opposite rotation, not theirs.<br /><br />Besides, I know they do. I saw it on the Simpsons when Homer visited Aussie land.<br /><br />Sean

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> TS, I think to them --- our toilets flush in the opposite rotation, not theirs.<br /><br />Sean
Yes, it always a matter of perspective. Opposite is not necessarily wrong, whether it is them or us.

Link

Rear Admiral

Maybe here on iboats its a little different but your correct as to most of the world not knowing how great that 6 inches of rain is.<br />Hope your dam gets filled. (In a timely manner)

Realgun

Commander

We have the same issues here in the west. lat year people were crying a lot about no water in the big lake! This year they are all down there making idiots of themselves. Not me however. :D <br /><br />Yup we actually had a snow pack and some rain this year.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Have you ever seem the "proper" atlas. Antartica is at the top, as is New Zealand. Need I say more.<br />On my bathroom hand basins, the hot water runs anti-clockwise, the cold wate clockwise.....I am right......just checked. :D <br />About droughts: for those of you who have not experienced a prolonged one (this one is 5yr to date, the last was 7yrs)they are very stressful. Unlike bushfires and floods etc, they just go on and on and all the vegetation dies. You have to work longer hours trying to keep everything going and your income falls. You plan what you are going to do when you can't flush the pan. You only run the dishwasher every 3 days, you only wash the cloths when you have 'full' loads. You don't leave the tap running while you brush your teeth. You have 3min showers (and that is not long). The list just goes on. And you get real P/Off'd when you go to the city and there is some dude washing his drive with the hose.<br />Anyway living here is our choice and we are happy.<br />Another point. Part way through the 7yr one, there was a joke about 5yr old kids who had never seen rain, and when it did rain, the kids all passed out and the parents had to chuck buckets of dust over them to bring the around. Not correct of course, but explained the gravity of the situation well.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Twidget

Commander

Another point. Part way through the 7yr one, there was a joke about 5yr old kids who had never seen rain, and when it did rain, the kids all passed out and the parents had to chuck buckets of dust over them to bring the around. Not correct of course, but explained the gravity of the situation well.
I'm not so sure about that, but my sister lives in W. Texas. They had been going through a dry spell for a few years and one day it really rained. Her 2 yo son got really upset, he had never seen heavy rain. :) <br /><br />Its good to hear about your downpour, I hope it continues.