Radioshack Rectifier

jeast

Cadet
I Seen Someone In A Post Mentioned A Replacement Rectifier For For The 78 1150 And Was Wondering What Exact One It Is I Need To Buy There? Thanks

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Radioshack Rectifier

Hay Jeast do a seach on "RADIO SHACK RESTIFIER" and you will be able to pin it down a little closer. I remember several threads on this subject. The one that comes to mind was posted by JOHNNYRUDEINATOR on Sept. 19th, 2007.
But I believe it was on "1970 1150 Rectifier" Good Luck.

j_martin

Admiral

I Seen Someone In A Post Mentioned A Replacement Rectifier For For The 78 1150 And Was Wondering What Exact One It Is I Need To Buy There? Thanks

Actually, Rad Shack doesn't stock anything that is suitable. You should have 25 amp average current spec, and at least 200 V PRV. This one from Mouser works, as will a gazillion others, often available at the local surplus shop. It is 600 volt. A gbpc2504 would be 400 Volts, also quite adequate. I stock these, and use them both in boats and in other high voltage applications, like 220 volt DC motor controllers. They're about 3 bucks apiece.

Go to www.mouser.com. Search for gbpc2504 or 2506. Or search for rectifier, drill down through bridge, voltage, current, etc to get a list of about 100 that will work.

hope it helps
John

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

www.mouser.com. mouser part#640-36MB-120A...... 35/28A 1200VOLT RUTTONSHA BRIDGE RECTIFIER sue heat sink cement on back side mounted to a metal surface

j_martin

Admiral

www.mouser.com. mouser part#640-36MB-120A...... 35/28A 1200VOLT RUTTONSHA BRIDGE RECTIFIER sue heat sink cement on back side mounted to a metal surface

That works. A little overkill for a buck in the same package.
Like I said, there's many that will work, Rad shack just doesn't stock it.

John

j_martin

Admiral

Something wrong with this one?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...fier&support=support&kw=rectifier&tab=support

Inline Six alternators don't put out any more than 9-10 amps anyway.

Plenty folks at this forum and others have used the Rad Shack rectifiers with no issues. Not to say there aren't other ones out there as or more suitable!

HTH...........ed

You can sell a rectifier with 200 volt piv rating as a 50 volt, no problem. Rad Shack sells comodity stuff, so it's possible the individual part purchased actually has a higher rating. That's perfectly legal and legitimate, but not a good basis for design.
The stator on a merc develops 90 volts or more rms, and will easily apply over 100 volts back voltage on a bridge rectifier. 50 volts peak inverse voltage is not enough to be sure the rectifier junction will not fail under those conditions. In other words, it's marginal, just like the original Murkery rectifier.

hope it helps
John

emckelvy

Commander

Moderator, please remove jimg984's multiple "bumps" from this discussion as they have no value.

Thanks..........ed