Radio Control Airplane Hobby

spratt

Lieutenant
I posted this on the Dockside Chat but am really interested in getting back into the RC Airplane hobby / Sport(?), and am interested in advice, thoughts, adventures, and unused Used hardware anyone may have lying around they would like to rid their garage of...if you do, I can provide my email for you to contace me.<br /><br />Thanks!!!

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Radio Control Airplane Hobby

I flew RC planes with my dad when I was a kid and also have a nice scar on my left hand that caught a prop to prove it. Most of my flights looked something like a teenagers first driving lesson which ended up in recovering at least a few parts. Although we love each other, my dad and I have not been able to share a common hobby together. He is still into RC planes and has them hanging from the ceiling in nearly every room of my parents home. My hands were safer on the throttle of a boat or handle of a fishing rod. My Dad ....at 71yrs old, can tune the carburator on his plane like a fiddler tunes his violin before a concert but probably doesn't know which end of a fishing rod to use. Aside our differences, I stop by the flying field now and then to see the smile on my dads face doing something he loves. <br /><br />I understand there are now very forgiving planes that can take a spin into the ground and be back in the air in a few minutes. I believe the trade name is "Duraplane." Also if you get involved with a local club you can use a "buddy cable" with someone experienced until you feel confident enough to fly solo. This connects your transmitters together which enables you to fly the plane but will resume control to the instructors transmitter when the crisis situations occur.<br /><br />Also, unless you are flying on/or over private land, you will need AMA (Aeronautic Modelers Association) insurance in the event of an errant crash into someones car, home, etc. People tend to get a little nervous about unmanned aircraft flying anywhere near their home and get very cranky when a RC plane comes down into a neighborhood backyard barbeque. I would recommend getting involved with a local club. Many guys move up to bigger, faster, and more expensive planes once they pass the learing curve of the basics. Therefore, you may be able to buy something used yet very enjoyable for your expectations and also have the learning support of fellow club members.<br /><br />Good Luck!

spratt

Lieutenant

Thanks for the advice!! I am leaning towards a Cessna 180 electric park model plane. It comes fully complete for $159.00 and is supposed to be very easy and slow to fly, but supposedly fast enough for experienced folks to enjoy also and can do some aerobatics if one wants. The video clips I have seen show it to be a very nice aircraft. Also, I am going to try to buy the Great Planes software for training, and I have a very good friend who has been flying for about 20 years to take me out to learn. It will be a while yet due to our consistent bad weather in Wa. till about May...

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That Cessna should do you well. Check to see if it has a flat bottom wing or a semi symmetrical.<br /><br />The flat bottom wing is good for a trainer plane. The semi symmetrical will allow you do do more acrobatics and fly inverted.<br /><br />Taking the friend to teach is great. They'll also be able to help you with flying field courtesy.<br /><br />I haven't flown R/C in awhile since I got my pilot's license. Too much fun flying in 1st person. I still have my low wing taildragger with retract landing gear hanging in the garage for when my son gets older.

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely get the Greatplanes sim if you can, I started my flying with the original some 8 years ago. I learned on my own which could be costly. Moved to rotor 4 years ago, Still have my planes though, hoping to get my oldest into it someday.<br />Good luck you will have a blast with it.

spratt

Lieutenant

GP G3 software is only $199, and includes the radio, cables, software, and you can download tons of new airplanes for it!!! I want to go see it in action at the Hobby Store, but haven't had a chance yet.

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I flew fuel back in the late 70's, got out of it and started back flying electrics in about 97. Elec is really the way to go unless you are really intrigued by the small engines. The fuel planes are noisy, smelly, messy but have a lot of power.<br /><br />Elec is quiet, no mess but only moderate power unless you spend a lot on brushless motors and LiPoly batts. I have only elec, everything from a rudder, elev, throttle at app 1 oz to a 3.5 lb plane . My favorite is called a shock flyer. App 7 to 9 oz, brushless, lipo; unlimited vertical, will hover, amazing aerobatics, lands like a leaf.<br /><br />Go to Ezonemag.com and click on the forums. Check out www.hobby-lobby.com for shock fliers, and other goodies. <br /><br />Warning !! A LOT of the pre-packaged, mass marketed trainer planes are totally worthless. Inquire on the forums about your exact plane before spending any money.

Splat

Lieutenant

Agree get a good SIM. I've been flying for several years, mostly choppers tho. It's amazing how good the graphics and flight charestricts are now compared to the old simulators.

The only advice I may offer on this is instead of a RTF, maybe consider a Almost ready to fly. More often than not these will come basically complete, but will need the addition of radio gear and electronics. THe only reason I recommend this is your probably going to get hooked back into the sport. And my experiance is the RTF kits usually come with a cheap transmitter, and adequate electronics.
The model you are looking at is a 3 channel but comes with a 4 channel transmitter. When you upgrade to a bigger better model you'll need to purchase a new tx anyways. It's just nice to have the same transmitter for all models if you can. A better TX like a DX7 will allow for things like rudder/elevator mixing and dual rates. Probably not desirable for the the Cessna model, but may come into play later on. Also with a better radio it will allow you to plug it in to the back of the flight sim controller and you can use your TX to control the sim with all your mixes and set-ups you normally fly with. I do this with my X9303 when ever I practice on the sim.

I know your just getting back into it, but I always recommend getting the best radio gear you can afford right away. You'll be upgrading it anyways.

If you have any other questions please ask away.
Bill

Splat

Lieutenant

Just wanted to add, Im not shooting down(no pun intended) that model your looking at, it's a great beginner model and should come with everything you need to get you in the air for a low cost. A great option if your unsure if your going to stay with it.

But it's limited. That's all

BIll

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This thread was over 3 years old......

Splat

Lieutenant

Yea I notice that now. How the heck was it like number 2 on my list when I responded last night?

Weird.

Bill