Racor water seperator bowl removal

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone have any tips on how to remove the bottom (plastic) bowl from a rusted Racor filter without breaking it into 100 pieces?<br /> It is really frozen on and I need to replace the old filter.Thanks Much!! :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Racor water seperator bowl removal

Outboard Non-repair topic.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

strap wrench?

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's frozen.....my intention is not to break it.<br />I feel sure the strap wrench would do that nicely.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

CLAB, You could remove the entire filter case and soak it in kerosene or wd-40. Also, If the plastic has "ears" or some kind of ridges, you could use a piece of wood and a mallet to gently tap it loose.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I usually gently clamp the bowl in a vice with pads. then remove the filter. dont crush the bowl just snug it. the tabs will keep it from rotating. now you will see why hand tight is tight :)

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rodbolt,<br />You are correct about the hand-tight.I think Godzilla might have installed this one.Thanks for the tip..I believe that will work.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Racor does make a filter bowl wrench that works, however Rodbolt's way is what most mechanics use.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I hand tighten my plastic bowl, but still need mechanical assistance every time I change the filter. I use two strap wrenches (one for bowl, one for cannister). Good luck getting that baby off. Before mucking around, maybe the price of a new cannister isn't huge (I doubt it, but you could check).

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

A film of marine grease on the bowl threads and the oring before assembly makes things a lot easier come disassembly time.