Quik questions before I pull the trigger

rabiddawg

Cadet
Gonna do the short version since the warm and fuzzy version timed out and said I was not logged in:mad:

04 Rinker Captiva 192 with 5.0 Mercruiser. This boat handled weird compared the the old 1973 Glastron CV-16 I grew up with. At cruise speed it tended to wonder and when I tried to correct it, it would go way the other way. I never felt comfortable. I need to add that the steering cable felt stiff, so it may need some lube.

Current owner has several hundred pounds of weights in the boat trying to throw a bigger wake.

I noticed on the lower unit that the small fin usually above the prop is replaced by a filler plate. Is this normal on the newer units? The 1973 vintage merc had a fin to adjust the steering.

Would any of this contribute to the quirky steering or is this just the nature of this type boat?

Everything worked except the trim gauge. Any tips on where to start fixing this?

Thanks

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Quik questions before I pull the trigger

The added weight could make the boat handle different at speed. I can tell you that is my wife and two kids all sit at the stern while underway. Also, that "filler" plate is an anode and does not have a fin becasue it has power steering and is not needed.

Some experts will chime in on the steering cable as maybe something is up there.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A zinc skeg WILL affect the way a boat "pulls" and can be adjusted to cou nter it.Check if there isexcessive play in the outdrive by jiggling it side to side .Charlie

rabiddawg

Cadet

Thanks guys, you are on the piece I am talking about. Would it make any sense to take the skeg out in order to add a bigger prop? Because with the Stilleto prop on it now the skeg would be knocked off. He has two aluminum props that will come with the boat. I guess I need to get a measurment on them and compare to the one on the boat. :redface:

If this boat has power steering it definately isn't working because it takes a good bit of effort to turn and when it does it over corrects. I guess the best description may be that I had a hard time making the boat go where I wanted it to go, especially when we had to go under three very narrow bridges (20' wide maybe).

Almost every compartment is full of barbell weights or capped off pvc pipe filled with sand. Even if I replace that weight with people I may be back in the same place.

I get the impression the current owner knows nothing about boats or maintenance. He told me that he took it to a dealer to be check out recently so I guess I need to find a contact name and number.

bhammer

Ensign

If it does not have P/S then it needs the the little fin type of annode on the outdrive, not the flat one. I would start there for you steering issue.

rabiddawg

Cadet

Thanks bhammer.

I will look again to see if it has power steering. Not ever having ps, I didn't think to look for it :eek: