Quicksilver Shift Lever

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet
I did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for.
I have a 1984 Advantage 18ft, it has the 140hp I/O merc 3.0.
My question is the Quicklsilver shift lever is very loose, it has the trim lever at the top and the trailer push button in the middle, is there some way to tighten this lever,it's still shifting and throttleing ok, but i'm afraid it going to get so loose it not going to work
Thanks for your time

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Quicksilver Shift Lever

If your lever is like mine, at the pivot point of the lever, the is a plastic push button that allows you to rev the engine in neutral. This plastic button can be pryed out with a screw driver so you can get at a nut that holds the lever on. There is also a screw on the side that I believe can be tightened to adjust the friction.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of your control. an 84 and an 01 model are Not the same.

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

Sorry I haven't got back to you with a picture, I'm a Lineman for MidAmerican Energy and I've been gone for a week working a ice storm.
I hope i can do this right
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSC00292 - Copy (2).JPG
    DSC00292 - Copy (2).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member

Make sure you see step 13 At the bottom of Don's Excellent post/link for the setscrew, And also number 10 in the parts brake down.;):)

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

We have single digits forecasted for our highs the next week or so here in Iowa, when i get a chance I will check it out.
Thanks a lot for the information and the manuel that looks like it will do the trick.:):cool:

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

I finally had a chance to look at the shift lever, it turns out the set screw #10 that you talk about in the lever is missing, do you know what size set screw this is? Is it a metric or standard thread? I've downloaded the shifter manual but it doesn't get to specific on the type of set screw.
Thanks

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

Don S or Boat tech any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks

Fun Times

Staff member

Don S or Boat tech any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks
The best information that I could find for you is that it is either mercruiser part number 10-85797 --SET SCREW (1/4-20 THREAD) $1.58 or part number 10-91051 --SET SCREW (5/16-18 THREAD) $1.58.

But to be honest with you that is just a guess, Because for some reason I could not find your exact shifter, I only found one that looks close to yours, And it list two set screws, Sorry about that, But at least it's a start, Any hardware store will have them, Or check out harbor freight tools, They sell a kit full of set screws like in this link below. I hope this helps, Good luck with it.:)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2115

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

Thanks Boat Tech, that gives me some direction, hopefully I will get a chance to mess with it this weekend.
Thank You