QuickSilver Power2 SS Props, automatic pitch shifting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkmarquis

Cadet
Can anyone tell me about the QuickSilver Power2 SS Props that are supposed to automatically shift from different pitches kinda like an automatic transmission on a car?<br /><br />I have seen little bits of info here and there on them but can not seem to get a complete picture. Also can not find a place that sells them. Been searching the web for a couple days on it.<br /><br />SEA Magazine: "Last, there are "shifting" props, which are preferred by many waterskiers and wakeboarders because they provide both a small pitch for better out-of-the-hole action and a larger pitch for a smooth run."<br /><br />I have a 1990 20' Bayliner 2050 with a 3.0 and am wondereing if this type of prop would be good, although I don't know how much they run. Would love to get a little more top end speed out of it. <br /><br />The concept of a variable pitch prop sounds fantastic. But is it (actually) any good? Any one have experience with these type of props that you can share with me? Any idea of where they can be purchased?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: QuickSilver Power2 SS Props, automatic pitch shifting?

Sorry.<br /><br />Buying and selling are not allowed on the message boards.

mkmarquis

Cadet

edit <br /><br />Anyone else have any experience with this type of prop?<br /><br />Mike

mkmarquis

Cadet

Ok, I am wondering if these props are not worth it. The only person who replied to me about them wants to sell his. Personally I would be concerned of the moving parts being prone to breakage. I can't even find a dealer who sells them. <br /><br />Anyone else out there reading the boating forums have any input or comments on these automatic shifting variable pitch props?

legend602

Cadet

Well, I've never tried one before. My dad (Who's always been big into boats) was saying how awesome they were. I've heard that they're pretty good, once you get them setup properly. Have to set it up to switch to a different pitch once the engine hits a certain RPM.<br /><br />I've got one sitting in my garage, too. I will probably try it out in a couple of weeks to see how well it does. When I do, I'll definately post up how well it works, and whether or not I like it...<br /><br />-Mike

lilharryjr

Cadet

This sounded intriguing to me as well. Bert e-mailed me the pdf on the prop and gave me a contact that sold this prop. The guy I spoke with said he sold a bunch before they stopped making them and only had one complaint. I have also heard they are tricky getting set up. If I knew more and had the extra dough I would probably give the thing a whirl. Unfortunately I am already into a 4-blade experiment, so financially it seems risky for me at this time (risk being my wife will kill me if I drop any more money on props right now. Where I like to go it is better to have an alluminum because of rock concerns so I think the 19 rh 4-blade will do the trick nicely for my application. It really does sound like the best of both worlds though. Please let us know how you make out...

mkmarquis

Cadet

Wow, they stopped making them? Maybe because of the high cost I wonder... hmmmmmmmmm<br /><br />Yes, please do post your results Mike when you get the prop on your boat. Anxious to know how it goes.

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll talk about setting them up. You have to set the spring tension via a cam plate to keep the prop in low pitch at low rpm's. The physical adjustment is very easy. The cam plate is marked and notched so you can make 15 degree movements. This plate is made of plastic. I thought this would be the first thing to give me trouble. I bought an extra one the day I purchase the prop. I still have it in the original package, never opened. Back to the spring tension. It is up to you where you want the prop to shift (which rpm). I liked it to shift just before max rpm for my engine. The first two seasons it took me about 2-3 trys to get the correct spring tension. From then on it never took me more than 2 times. I used my boat to water ski every weekend from April to October for around seven years with this prop. Not every year, but most, I would have to adjust the spring tension, once a season, one notch to keep it shifting the way I liked. The other cool part, is that you can make it down shift also. Back off quick and nail it quick and you hit your "passing gear". You also slow down faster from cruising speed because of the down shifting. Docking control is also better. Bert :D

bohler

Recruit

I have one of these props on my boat.And I really like its preformance. Does anyone have any imformation out there about these props. I need help on how to adjust it. thanks

bohler

Recruit

Originally posted by bertherr:<br /> Sorry.<br /><br />Buying and selling are not allowed on the message boards.

bohler

Recruit

Originally posted by bertherr:<br /> Sorry.<br /><br />Buying and selling are not allowed on the message boards.

bohler

Recruit

OK, do you have any information about these props,<br />it sure would be a big help. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.