Quicksilver 3000 replacement options

Status
Not open for further replies.

carman993

Recruit
Has anyone ever replaced a QS 3000 completely? I need to use the Tilt frequently (shallow water) and it would be nice to have a control with one had access to trim and tilt. I have a 95 Cobalt with 454/Bravo One.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quicksilver 3000 replacement options

Welcome aboard carman!! I moved this question to a new thread. We'll get you more focused responses this way.

There are a variety of options out there. I assume you want to eliminate the "trailer" button on the side. My control's trim switch has two detentes the first one is trim and the second is trailer. I'll get you the model number, but I believe it mounts directly to the 3000 classic's template. They are pricey . . . :eek:

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a manual for the 3000 series control with the other manuals in the adults only sticky in case anyone is interested.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Am I an idiot (don't answer that) or is the Mercury website worthless for mechanical controls now? All I can find is SmartCraft stuff . . .

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Am I an idiot (don't answer that) or is the Mercury website worthless for mechanical controls now? All I can find is SmartCraft stuff . . .

Yes, I searched the entire site and could find no mention of traditional side mount/top mount binnacles...
1lg021thumbsdown.gif

carman993

Recruit

thanks for the redirect! That's exactly what I'm looking for the combined tilt/trim switch. Appreciate any leads. Cost is relative to the pain of getting in/out of a very shallow slip! :)

carman993

Recruit

Here's a solution for complete replacement.

------------------
The remote control I selected for you we have had good experiences with other customer's replacing no longer available remote controls. the part number for this remote control is 8M0030551. In addition, for the power trim extension harness, you will need to know if your boat has the "traditional Mercury 3 blade P/T connector" or the "Packard 3 pin connector" and order the appropriate power trim extension harnesses. Further more you "must use Gen II throttle/shift cable design" with this remote control. I know you will be happy with the upgrade to this style remote control and given the age of the boat these new Gen II style cables should provide a noticeable improvement in ease of shifting and throttling up.
Your local Mercury dealer can find this part and associated information on page 503 of his 2010 Accessories Guide.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

This is a bit of information I have been looking for. I want to trust my mechanic and this info helps me in a similar throttle only issue. He had told me initially if remote needs to be replaced they have been phasing them out and new replacement (prob said Gen II) would be like...a lot more than say a similar "phonebend" model. When I asked him about using the latter model he said we'll see when we get there (he wanted to look inside the current box first) but I would prefer the Gen II's overall performance.

I think i also just like to know that I have options.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

But I also would like to believe that the Teleflx control should work just fine. It seems they make the cables for GenII?

sskeetr1

Cadet

Here's a solution for complete replacement.

------------------
The remote control I selected for you we have had good experiences with other customer's replacing no longer available remote controls. the part number for this remote control is 8M0030551. In addition, for the power trim extension harness, you will need to know if your boat has the "traditional Mercury 3 blade P/T connector" or the "Packard 3 pin connector" and order the appropriate power trim extension harnesses. Further more you "must use Gen II throttle/shift cable design" with this remote control. I know you will be happy with the upgrade to this style remote control and given the age of the boat these new Gen II style cables should provide a noticeable improvement in ease of shifting and throttling up.
Your local Mercury dealer can find this part and associated information on page 503 of his 2010 Accessories Guide.
I know this is an old thread but im hoping to find the info I need. I have the same issue with my 5.0 merc in my 1999 chaparral. Would this set up work for mine if I get the new cables as well? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I know this is an old thread but im hoping to find the info I need. I have the same issue with my 5.0 merc in my 1999 chaparral. Would this set up work for mine if I get the new cables as well? Thanks
Read the rules on posting in old threads

Status
Not open for further replies.