"Quick Start" & "fast idle" questions on '97 Evinrude 11

StAugVol

Seaman Apprentice
While poring through a gazillion queries on the old posts, I've seen reference to the Quick Start feature on OMCs and the fast idle button. On my OMC control there's a button I push to advance the throttle without it shifting, is this the fast idle button? Could a problem with either of these be causing the motor to run up to 3000 when it starts?<br /><br />How does Quick Start work? What are the procedures to test it? I don't see anything referring to Quick Start in my OMC manual. Just got the Clymer manual, but it's not in that index, either.<br /><br />When I hose tested my 115 Rude after replacing the water pump, she just about ran off before I got her shut off. I had to do some significant banging to get the foot off, but it finally came out. The pump replacement was fine, re-installation went fine. But now every time I start it up she begins to run way up, and I kill it at about 2000. Haven't had a chance to put it in the water yet (work happens). <br /><br />See my post "Evinrude 115 SPL over rev bad..." posted 4/13/03<br /><br />Thanks everyone for the wealth of info here

Mufasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: "Quick Start" & "fast idle" questions on '97 Evinrud

Quick-Start works with a temp switch in the cylinder head and adds extra timing to raise the idle speed until the motor reaches 104 degrees or the rpms exceed 1100 rpm's. You should be starting this motor with the throttle closed and using the primer for cold starts. If it is a warm engine restart Quik-Start will be activated for 5-10 seconds when starter is cranked. If you listen closely the rpm will drop down after a few seconds. If the idle speed is climbing make sure the throttle plates are closed and syncronized properly. Be cautious running on the hose, do not exceed 2,000 rpms. Yes, using your warm-up lever is the same as advancing your control in neutral. If the motor is set-up properly you will not need to do that.

StAugVol

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Master<br />I've just come in from checking out my carb again, and guess what I found? A screw! A quarter inch flat head was stuck under the port side upper butterfly! The head is identical to those on the fuel pump, but all six of those are there. Looked everywhere for and empty hole but can't find one. Where could it have come from?<br />Can't wait to test her out tomorrow...

D

DJ

StAugVol,<br /><br />Don't feel bad. The first "new" boat I bought, I found a carpet knife in the air box (silencer) four years after I bought it.<br /><br />It was a 1989 Johnson 90.<br /><br />You're lucky that screw didn't go any farther. Has anyone done anything to the carb. area of the engine?