quick question

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
Hi.
I just finished with my trailer. I have installed PVC pipes on it to help park the boat and to hold lights over water. My dilema is " can pvc pipes be wider than trailer fenders? mine are about 10" wider. Is that ok or i need to cut them to the size of the trailer?
Thanks

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: quick question

wider? do you mean they are outside of your wheel wells? If so It really depends on the overall width of the trailer, so long as you are within the max allowable width for your state I don't see a problem.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Most places have different lighting requirements beyond a certain size, yet still within the maximum width allowed. If your PVC guides put your overall width into this next size, though still legal, I think you'll be required to have a set of 3 red tail lights in the centre of your trailer in addition to the standard corner markers. You'll also need additional corner markers front and back of the widest point of your trailer. My trailer is within that range, so I've added lights at the top of the guideposts, amber facing forward and red on the back, as well as the required set of 3 red centre markers. - Grandad

tomstehr

Seaman

Yes... what he said^^^^^ . I believe the max width is 8 feet from widest point to widest point regardless of where the fenders are. That is pretty standard as most states require vehicle wider that a normal traffic lane (8 feet from center stripe to shoulder stripe) to carry a wideload banner. That is my experience working in a variety of areas. I do not claim to be all knowing though, so if someone knows better then, I apoligize for misguiding you!

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

i have 91" from betvine outside edges of the pipe. I guess i'm ok then. Thanks to all!!!