Quick Question

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000, 200 Johnson. I've done some work on it. Use to be auto tech, so I do know how to wrench. A little info. I replaced the water pump (complete kit) this year. New T stats. New by pass for water pressure, black flushed motor. Rebuilt carbs two Years ago. What I'm haveing now is the following. Went out and started fine made a three, to four mile run. Ran perfect. I lowered unit back down, so I could just fire and take off. I decided to move across river. So I just decide to putter. Started out fine then I gave it gas and it fell on face. This happened several times.Got where I wanted to go very slowly, give gas it would just load up, and die. So I got ready to leave. I just trimed motor up (level) and reved up motor to listen to see if all cyclinders where hitting. Sounded Good. So I floored it and started lowering it. Ran great.Ran to another spot, then ran to another spot. Fished another spot for a while, then had to come home. Raised motor and started motor and floored it and lowered motor. Ran great. Now when I took off from the last several spots, I just started and floored the gas, and trimed motor all the way down. then back up to get good plane. The slow mode works, idles down after warming up. T stats worked. Tail tale showed water. My question is or my idea is that motot trimed all the way down, could carbs load up? Possible? Any Ideas What would cause this? It did this last year also! I only fished three times so It slipped my memorey ( due to illness ).Gas is from last year, I put octane boost and stablelizer in it also. Bought abought $40.00 new gas, on this trip!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Quick Question

you should have gotten rid of last years gas, too late now. octane boost does nothing for an outboard, should have used seafoam. you trim your motor all the way down before taking off. it will get to plane faster, then you trim out. it sounds like you have crud in the carbs, from sitting up.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Quick Question

I know to trim it all the way down for hole shots. Just seemed odd motor,didn't act up when I didn't.