Quick intro. New to boat owning!

Itsnotme1988

Cadet
Just put payment on this 1994 Stingray 609 with 600hrs on it. Only ever used in fw and I got it for it a song! Does have an issue though...suspect it froze this winter and cracked the intake. Ran great for about 20min then started smelling oil and it's leaking water and oil out of the top starboard side. It is mixxing in the crankcase but did start and run smooth as a quick test. Only paid 1500 for boat and trailer so I can't complain. Seller just put In new water manifolds and water jackets. I plan on asking a lot of questions as boats are a whole new world for me. (A's far as maintenance and ownership) The plan is to swap out some interior and make it more fishing friendly and add a few drop in rod holders. Will be used primarily in fw with the occasional salt foray (which honestly scares me...but got keep fiancee happy haha) What's going to be the best way to get the oil and water mixture out?

What's a good repair/service manual to pick up?

Should I be worried if I dip it in salt on occasion and flush it out with a water hose as soon as we return home?

20150621_165002_zpsewvxk0a2.jpg

20150621_142147_zpsf9fbsokg.jpg

20150621_142125_zpsul8kib7g.jpg

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
Sounds like you know more than I but the water and oil mixing, leaking out of the motor is a cracked block and that could be $erious motor work.

Oh and welcome to Iboats. I bet you will get a lots of response to your question.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Before any of us can make any suggestions about a manual or repair, we gotta know what ya got. You won't be going anywhere until the motor is fixed. Hope it isn't serious.

Itsnotme1988

Cadet
That's a thought as well I just know the 4.3 is prone to having intake issues and I've seen this in others similar. At worst it needa a block and I'm still coming out ahead price wise.

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome . . .

We would want to know the brand of engine/outdrive (Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo Penta) . . . model and serial number would be best.

Anyway, don;t worry about getting the milky oil out , as it sounds like you may be replacing the engine.

tpenfield

Staff member
Is there any particular reason that you are going through with this purchase, knowing that a new engine is in your future?

Itsnotme1988

Cadet
I have a connection at the marina to get a good deal on used engines if necessary, I don't mind/like projects, and it'll still be below what I could buy a comparable one for.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have a connection at the marina to get a good deal on use d engines if necessary and I don't mind/like projects and o it'll still be below what I could buy a comparable one for

Sounds like you've done this before or knows somebody that has! Agree that even a couple K for another short block and you're ahead of the game if you do the work..

Itsnotme1988

Cadet
Yeah, family friends with a few guys/gals with slips who restore boats in there off time so I have plenty of help and know how. haha!

I've done comparable work on cars, but never a boat so this will be new territory for me!