Quick answer please :) motor bolt holes

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
I am replacing my transom on my 16' Starcraft Supersport (1970). The transom is basically a bolt in, so I made a new one, got it all sealed up, and am installing it as we speak. I'm sealing all the bolts with 5200 (debated between boat life and 5200). My question is this. I'm putting on a different engine than was on before... Was 1970 Johnson 85, looking like going to newer Suzuki 70. Should I redrill the existing engine bolt holes or not? Should I just fill up the aluminum part of the hole (wood is solid now) with 5200 and then put the back piece of wood on? (it's the wood on the very back of the boat, don't know what it's called)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Quick answer please :) motor bolt holes

Hi, E&Q.<br /><br />I take it the Suzi you are going to mount is a 4 stroke DF70.<br /><br />The bolt patterns will not match. Seal the old ones and drill new holes to match the new engine AFTER you get it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Quick answer please :) motor bolt holes

Thanks.... I figured even if I didn't go with the DF70, I figured it's smarted not to drill them out and keep the wood solid... but wanted to make sure!