Quick answer needed on moving problem

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice
We finally got the shed put up for our new boat (the company was 4 weeks late putting it up and now it's frozen). We have the boat covered but not as good as it should be to be out in severe weather. We're trying to move it in now, and the hitch won't slide down over the ball. We can move the levers inside the hitch if we reach under and up into it, but it won't lower down. Does anyone know what might be causing that problem?

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quick answer needed on moving problem

I'm sure you and your DH have checked to make sure the ball isn't too big(2 5/16" ball and 2" hitch). Try heating the hitch w/ a propane torch or blow drier to be sure it doesn't have a bunch of ice/frozen debris inside it.
Mike

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, thanks for the reply, but the ball is the right size. We towed it all the way home from Iowa with it too. Something might be frozen, but I would have thought we wouldn't be able to move the mechanism with our hands if that were the case???

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Maybe it is adjusted too tight.
Under the hitch there is a nut that adjusts how tight it fits the ball.
Maybe try to back that off a couple turns and see if it will help.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Its frozen for sure. The hair dryer should work. If not, dunk it in boiling water. I'd stay away from the propane torch if I were you. Whatever approach, after you get it working spray the heck out of it with a silicone lubricant.

Bondo

Staff member

We can move the levers inside the hitch if we reach under and up into it, but it won't lower down.

Ayuh,.. Depending on the make,+ model,...
You may have to pull the jaw down, then lift,+ hold up on the top latch, while lowering it onto the ball....

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I'm w/ Bondo I had exactly the same thing happen to me today when I finally got my boat quanset hut cleaned out and cleared the snow off my boat tarp the hitch fork would not lower when pulling the latch to the lock position had to hold up on the latch and push down to engage the ball.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Going to mess with it in the morning again when the sun comes back out. I appreciate all the suggestions.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I hope you guys give out points for honesty even if it is being honest about being stupid:

Ahem

boat is in the shed

I'm going to buy a 'newbie' pass here (they sell them here don't they? lol)

I was asked earlier in here, and also once on the boatingABC forum, if the ball was the right size and I said ... oh yes, absolutely... well, at least I can say it wasn't me who put that ball and coupler in, it was hubby. He's buying a 'it was dark out pass'...

This morning I go out there and am messing some more with it and looking at it thinking danged if that doesn't look too big...nah, he wouldn't have put the horse trailer hitch in...

come in the house. Went into hubby's office and said, I'm just throwing this out there, but it IS the right size ball, isn't it?

Oh yes, he says. Of course it is.

Go out again, crank the trailer back up so I can take a close look at the top of the ball. all scuffed up but LOOKS like it says 2 SOMETHING not just 2. Come in, hey, are you SURE it's the right size ball. He gets his coat and shoes on and comes out, ...

well, you know the rest I'm sure.

Trailer slides right down where it belongs... boat follows truck obediently... boat in house. We're laughing now. We weren't earlier. LOL

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some pictures of the shed going up. I haven't taken one with the boat in it yet. I'll get one today sometime, we're going to tarp the front and back:

Before the build (barn on the side):

beforeboatbuilding.jpg

Frame up:

midwayboatbuildingcropped.jpg

Finished (hubby's truck in there for a minute while he cleared more snow on the other side to pull out after bringing the boat in):
finishedboathouse2.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The old ball and hitch thing happens ocasionally, you will just have to through a touch of paint on to remember which ones which, Nice shelter, you folks anchored it down good I hope with all that prairie around you I bet the winds pick up good.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah we get some doozie winds through here alright. We don't live in Oklahoma but I sure do feel like busting out into that song now and then. It is anchored with 10 mobile home anchors. It's sure a good question though.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

You're not the first this has happened to and I guarantee you're not the last!!!! Glad it was an easy fix.
Mike

bassman284

Commander

Let he who has never done anything stupid throw the first stone. I know I'll be well back in the pack on that one. All's well that ends well.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgive me, but it's hard to give you a newbie pass when you are an "Admiral" on Boating ABC. But good luck Tami.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

LOL haha, very funny, Mike. I'm an "Admiral" over there because I drive you guys nuts with questions. :) (and STILL manage to pull a bone head stunt like this) although, as any good "Admiral" would do, I let the blame roll down hill to my Captain. Heehee.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hubby may have been having a senior moment. I can understand his error. Seems you were very tactful in getting to the correct answer. My wife is like that too. I, sorry to say, am more direct usually and work to correct that, but it's like telling a dog not to bark and holding his mouth shut......he just can't control the urge as his throat puffs up. Ha.

Glad you got her fixed. Course your first clue to me was the fact that you had already successfully towed the boat. That led me to the ice conclusion, like if it worked before, why won't it now.

So your answer is to get two inserts for your receiver hitch (which I presume you have), each with the ball to fit the occasion. I have a similar problem and this solution works for me.

Mark

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

the problem actually is that we do have two receivers with a ball on each, he picked the wrong one to slide into the receptacle. LOL I don't really know that I was all that 'tactful' although I'd like to think so... really my reasoning was much the same as what you thought.. we towed it before and had no problem, why is this not working? Must be the cold, or something. I actually didn't dream he would have put the wrong receiver in. I do buy his darkness theory a bit though. The night we first had trouble I didn't notice a difference either, hence my answers on here early on. The next morning when I went out and messed with it, it did look 'too big' and still at the same time I only had a slight doubt, after all, it must be the right hitch, he couldn't have put the horse trailer in. (LOL yes he could).

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

And obviously he did. Grin

j_martin

Admiral

I've got the same problem here. I'm going to put 2 inch hitches on everything.