Questions - boat has sat for .....

jwp

Cadet
..... several years. This is an aluminum boat, It feel confident it's ok. It was my dads, I've kept it in my garage. It has sat since 03 but the wife and I want to get back in to fishing. I have had it jacked up enough to block the axle to keep the weight off the tires and have made sure to pull the cord on the motor every couple months or so to keep it from freezing up. There has been NO grease or oil drippings (I always keep a shallow pan under it).
It has buddy bearings that I've always checked - DO you feel the bearings or axle are hurt being it has sat several years with minor movement ? (moved around in garage for cleaning only). The motor ran great the last time it was used - figure it's best to get it serviced.
This is a great fishing boat - it's a 77 Monarch flat bottom that has a 45" livewell. The motor is an a bit newer (80's Johnson 9.9 with 15 carb long shaft). Dad had sat this up so you can steer the boat from the back or from the front via stick steering. Oh, I just remembered, it's got a Motorguide trolling motor (not sure what thrust). I know I'll need a new battery, do you feel the trolling motor will be ok after sitting all these years ? I know I sound dumb to fishing, I'm really not - just been a long time since I had dad to ask about these things.
Appreciate all replys,
jwp

D

DJ

Re: Questions - boat has sat for .....

1. I would suspect the tires. If they are not weatherchecked, then probably-OK.

2. Wheel bearings. It's cheap and good insurance to service them.

3. Read and do the suggestions on the FAQ regarding: "awakening a sleeping outboard". See this link.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

robert graham

Admiral

Also a very good idea to go through the entire fuel system from tank to carbs, drain and flush all old fuel, inspect tank pick-up, fittings, primer bulb, quick-disconnect on motor cowl, fuel filter, fuel pump, drain each carb, fresh gas with Stabil Marine. Any gas that was in the system since 1993 has degraded causing varnish,other junk. Add a fuel/water separator(Walmart $27), easy to install, great preventive maintenance. Good Luck!

jwp

Cadet

Thank you for the link DJ, very helpful. Robert, I had thought about the
fuel but not to the extent you mentioned - thank you both so much :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

What a great little fishing boat. Those Johnnyrude 9.9s tuned up to 15 are excellent motors and will run a long time with proper maintenance. That rig sounds like what lots of folks use around here to catch everything from slab crappie to tailwater trout. Here are the recommendations from the good folks at Bearing Buddies regarding the wheel bearings.
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/faqs.htm#3
Welcome to iboats. Where are you from?