Questions about speeding/ traffic violations

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Questions about speeding/ traffic violations

Good set of questions KB....<br /><br />Since I put a GPS and cruise control in my truck I speed a lot less.

ob

Admiral

The level of inappropriate speed on the interstates imo depends on the level of traffic.Sometimes,its not safe to go over the limit at all.Also 70 on interstates is a rational speed limit to enforce ,give or take 5 mph.I basically just go with the flow.<br /><br />The short lived 55 on interstates was rediculously slow.In town I don't speed at all,period.The intown posted speeds where I live are more than lenient.A bit high on a few roads IMO.I don't like the camera idea either.They would be better served on the countries borders in this day and age.

Link

Rear Admiral

KB<br />Could not vote. Anyway to modify 2 & 3 ??<br />Go with the flow of traffic<br />and 0 as an appropriate speed to go over the limit?<br />The only time I will speed is if the flow of traffic is going a little faster. Knowing I still could be ticketed but its sometimes safer that way for everyone.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, who voted they are all crooks? :D KB maybe. :p

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Not I SBN. So far 3 people have though. <br /><br />Link- Sorry but you cannot change a poll once it has been posted.<br /><br />So far my awnsers are in the majority by a long shot. I can see that I should have had a flow of traffic answer also. Thats were I tend to drive. Coming back from Houston at some points me and the "group" I was traveling in we would be going 85-87. To me that is a little too fast but I was in a group so I went. I like to go about 80-82 on the open road. Its my wifes van sweet spot. My car likes 77. My truck likes to run 70 in 4th or about 85 in 5th. Its too dangerous with a load in 5th so I just stay in 4th when I drive it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have found that my 25 mph speed limit within city limits is too high for the majority of the neighborhoods. People are always getting in accidents and almost hitting people. I never drive above 15 mph in the neighborhoods, just too many kids and pets. I voted that I never speed, but I should add that I never DELIBERATELY speed. Sometimes I may be coming off of a hill or something and notice I am a bit above the limit, but I just have no need to speed. For one thing, the boss doesn't like that whole speeding thing with company vehicles, and the time saved is minimal compared to the cost of wasted fuel and fines.<br /><br />Seems like I remember a study quite a number of years ago where they had average people drive cars without speedometers at the fastest speed they were comortable with, and most of them went somewhere around 75 to 80. Any faster and they were too nervous, too twitchy, not able to relax. Obviously they where American drivers. European drivers feel comfortable at higher speeds, they are better drivers, and their cars are meant for the higher speeds. I used to always see some guy try to drive his Camaro or Mustang on the autobahn and blow the things up trying to keep up with Volkswagen Golfs. Too funny....

eeboater

Commander

Alright, 2 people said they NEVER speed. Thats a ridiculous lie!<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I go the speed limit in town, but have cruised at up to 95 on the highway, when the conditions are right. I go very slow in neighborhoods, too many kids.<br /><br />The only cops I have ever had experiences have all been nice and fair.<br /><br />The ones in Lousiana I have heard stories from. In fact my dad either had to pay the fine on the spot, or surrender his Texas license. What a scam.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Alright, 2 people said they NEVER speed. Thats a ridiculous lie!<br /><br />Sean
I take exception to that.<br />I for one never do, period.<br />When I go somewhere, I set the cruise and turn on the radio and just ride.<br />I am never in that big of a hurry to get where I am going.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I think a speeder is safer than someone who isn't concentrating!!! I have seem a few accidents caused by drivers in 'la-la' land...

JB

In town and in neighborhoods I drive the posted limit or below. <br /><br />Secondary highways typically +5mph.<br /><br />Interstates and other major highways I adjust my speed so that the maniacs and idiots are about equal. Most places that is +5 to +10mph. I wont go over +10mph on purpose.<br /><br />I have been places. . . I75 in FL, I30 in Ft. Worth during rush hour, and others. . . where +10mph is hazardous because it impedes traffic. Scary, but I get in the far right lane and drive +10 anyway.<br /><br />There are stretches of Interstate in the west where I think 90-100mph in a good vehicle would be reasonable, but you have to watch out for the condition of the driving surface. Some are so uneven and potted that even 70 is dangerous.<br /><br />Make no mistake: Our Interstate Highways are not in the same class with the Autobahn in engineering or execution. Some 40-50 year old stretches of Autobahn are smoother and safer than a 10 day old stretch of US Interstate.