Questions about my next boat purchase.....

cnccustom

Seaman
looking to get a bigger boat and need to know what to stay away from....so far have heard to stay away from Mercury force outboards because they don't last very long...also heard to stay away from volvo penta out drives and today someone said volvo penta is good but stay away from OMC outdrives...can someone shed some light on this for me......

found a real nice boat but it has a mercury force on it and it makes me skeptical...please help...thanks

looking for a 18 - 20 foot cuddy cabin for saltwater

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Questions about my next boat purchase.....

force has a long sorted history, there were some that were good, but very few. the OMC i/o 's are now no longer supported by bombadier. parts and mechs are hard to find and when you do they are expensive. rule of thumb on is when seeing an OMC---run the other way fast. most used force are good anchors, they were a lower priced engine, to meet a market, thus most did not recieve the proper mainatinance.

cnccustom

Seaman

Thanks...any input on volvo penta 280 outdrive ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most vp outdrive are very reliable. for more info post in the i/o forum. Don S is an expert on them.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

cnccustom said:
Thanks...any input on volvo penta 280 outdrive ?

Bulletproof. Have one. Would own no other, even new. Since I have been at Iboats, I don't think except for oil questions, there have been NO "help me fix" on the VP 280....most Merc/OMC OD's are "help me" daily. 90 up Force was a much better motor than earlier...have a 88 125hp