Questions about ETEC

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to replace my 1975 85 HP Evinrude with a new 115 ETEC motor. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer on. Do I need to use specific etec controls? I was told that if I had a motor from 98 and up the controls would work. Are there any other brand of controls that would work with the motor. Also I have a cable type steering system will this work with the new etec motor?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Questions about ETEC

controls changed in 1997, i believe the etec will work with the new controls, but verify with the dealer you are buying from. if you have rack or rotary cable steering, fine.

Andre

Seaman

Just talked to a very repital dealer and he told me that Etek motors like your new one requires a four light gauge. You must install this type of gauge in order to run your motor properly.

Andre

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Thank you for the information. The dealer is telling me I need to spend $800 on new controls to work with the etec, I found this control from BRP: http://www.amazon.com/BRP-Johnson-Evinrude-Outboard-Control/dp/B001KXXWZ6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1246978653&sr=8-5

for only $225, so I want to know if it will be ok to use.

Why don't you call Short's Marine and ask them? They are BRP dealers (I bought my two 175 Etecs from them) and can easily answer your question. BTW, you should be planning on a BRP dealer to rig your new motor ... it's NOT a DYI project if you want any guarantee. The annunciator gauge is manditory as a minimum, since it provides important engine status info. It's ~$200 or so, if memory serves me well. The $800 figure was almost certainly a new tach with the annunciator feature and the single lever control, and new cables. Etecs are great, but like all the new DFI motors, they are not well suited to back yard mechanics, unless you have the special skills and equipment to service and install them.