Questions about 1973 Starcraft 16' SS

nh5111

Cadet
I just bought a 1973 Starcraft 16' SS and am moving all my equipment/motor from my 1973 15' Capri...my question is I will be replacing the floor and was thinking about installing a 40 gallon below deck gas tank. Any thoughts on this? It looks like the gas tank would fit nicely in a deep v-hull, but I am not sure if this is safe or recommended. Has anyone ever done this type of thing? Should I just stick to the portable gas tanks?

Thanks,
Nick

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions about 1973 Starcraft 16' SS

40 gal in a 16 footer you say? Wow, that seems like a big tank for that boat! What are you using for power?

nh5111

Cadet

I have a Johnson 85hp 2-stroke. I was considering the 40 gal because it was the smallest belly tank I could find, and looked like the low profile would fit nicely in a v-hull.

The other issue is that I went through a 6-gallon tank in just under 3 hours...do you think 40 gal is overkill?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My outboard buddies with way more experience in that hp range will jump in and give you better info, but I say...

If it actually fits between your stringers and under the deck, I'd use it!:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh, wait a minute. I must have misread what you have going on there sorry. I was assuming you already had the 40 gal on hand and ready to install. I was a lil confused that you were even trying to fit that tank - I'd be way surprised if a 40 gal would even fit sub deck.

Sorry about that!:redface:

Yah, if you don't already own it, get something smaller (cheaper too). Just make sure it fits in between those stringers and under the deck. You don't have a lot of room to work with there.

nh5111

Cadet

Thanks for the info, did not know it had to fit between the stringers, I was under the impression that there were grooves in the bottom of the tank to allow for that, but I guess that would be impossible since all boats are different. I also checked the moeller website and read more about the below deck tanks...hmmm, I think there are too many things that could be hazardous to keep a tank installed in this boat. I live near the Chain O Lakes, IL and we can have some pretty harsh winters. I think maybe I will stick to the above deck tanks so they can be removed when the boat is stored. I have two old metal tanks that should be replaced, which is why I was considering the change.

Some background info on this boat...I just changed to the '73 SS because my 15' Capri needs a new transom. I put about $1600 into the 85hp OB and last Friday when we took the boat out, the fiberglass broke apart and all the rotted wood in the transom was floating in the hull...good thing we did not sink or lose the motor off the back of the boat. The SS has a new transom and is a solid aluminum hull, no leaks...can't wait to get it out on the water this weekend.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I doubt that a 40 gallon belly tank will fit in a 16' SS. I would have gone that route myself if it were possible.

I have an above-deck 18 gallon tank that I'm gonna install under the splashwell.(thanks Jason!):D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What does 40 gallons of fuel weigh?

Oh yaaaa...242.8 lbs

Thats a LOT of extra weight in a 16 ftr..:eek:
IMO

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info, did not know it had to fit between the stringers, I was under the impression that there were grooves in the bottom of the tank to allow for that, but I guess that would be impossible since all boats are different. I also checked the moeller website and read more about the below deck tanks...hmmm, I think there are too many things that could be hazardous to keep a tank installed in this boat. I live near the Chain O Lakes, IL and we can have some pretty harsh winters. I think maybe I will stick to the above deck tanks so they can be removed when the boat is stored. I have two old metal tanks that should be replaced, which is why I was considering the change.

Some background info on this boat...I just changed to the '73 SS because my 15' Capri needs a new transom. I put about $1600 into the 85hp OB and last Friday when we took the boat out, the fiberglass broke apart and all the rotted wood in the transom was floating in the hull...good thing we did not sink or lose the motor off the back of the boat. The SS has a new transom and is a solid aluminum hull, no leaks...can't wait to get it out on the water this weekend.

yep...welcome to the wonderful world of tin