Question

isleno1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a volvo 3.0 gs mefs with a sx outdrive. The problem I have is an oil leak coming from the lower unit in front of the prop. I'm sure that is due to a bad prop shaft seal. My question is, can I expect to change anything else with that or is it commonly just the 2 dollar seal. Should I be aware of anything in particular when changing this seal.

Desi F.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question

You also have to replace any orings on the carrier. Look at the parts breakdown for the part numbers.

isleno1

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have a manual, where do you suggest I find a breakdown of this unit?

isleno1

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Don S., I couldn't find any breakdowns of the stern drives in any of the links. I had actually looked at all of those links before posting this thread. Do you have any other suggestions on finding a breakdown of the drive?

isleno1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, that should do it. It didn't give me a breakdown or a diagram but it gave me a parts list for the o-rings and sealings.

Thanks again,

isleno1

Seaman Apprentice

Adeneo,

would you know why the diagram of the lower unit assembly shows different part numbers for the individual parts but the repair kit that has the same parts shows different part numbers for the o-rings and sealings.

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no idea, could be they updated some of the parts, and in the Volvo fashion stuck a new number at the end of the part number, or that your looking at a repair kit for a sligtly different SX model, there are so many it's not always easy telling them all apart.

Maybe Don S knows, he seems to know all these part numbers by heart ?