Question to Suzuki 4-Stroke owners

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice
Any portable Suzuki owners (4 to 15 hp) out there? Do you drain the engine oil before laying it on its side when transporting it? What does Suzuki recommend?

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Question to Suzuki 4-Stroke owners

Any portable Suzuki owners (4 to 15 hp) out there? Do you drain the engine oil before laying it on its side when transporting it? What does Suzuki recommend?

Yes, check here. I bought a 6hp from them.

http://www.newoutboards.com/

According to the manual, you need to drain the oil if you plan to store it on its side over a long period. They don't mention draining the oil before transport but you need to lay on the right side and drain gas from the carb.

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. As a matter of fact I'm looking at the DF6 model as a kicker for my larger boat, and possibly as a motor for a 12' ft aluminum boat.

The reason I asked is because Yamaha and Honda do tell you to drain the oil, not merely suggest. Tohatsu, Nissan and Merc just say to lay them on the correct side according to their manuals, but I couldn't find any Suzuki manuals on their site.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ops, i misread and thought you were looking for a store too.

Anyway, from what i read, you can check if oil is in the cylinder or not by removing the spark plug(s) and pull start, if no oil spit out, then it is good, otherwise, you will have pull till most of oil is out. Somewhat troublesome but better than draining the oil everytime.

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again, I'll try that when I have the motor.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again, I'll try that when I have the motor.

If you are buying new, you will get the manual. I am thinking getting a service manual too.

BTW, you also need to switch to external tank first before draining the carb so gas wont get into the carb again.