Question to all.....

ehenry

Commander
I figure the govt. has tons of MRE's and water sitting somewhere that could have been dropped in to the superdome in new orleans pretty quickly but yet it didnt happen. They waited until the conditions got so bad that people started turning on one another AND on the people trying to help them to start doing something. The Governor of Louisiana has all but given the shoot to kill order to the gaurdsmen that are going in. These are troops just returned from Iraq and pretty much have mentality to take care of business. I agree with the order.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Question to all.....

Just another real-world example of how compitent government really is. <br /><br />Let me see... 4 days to provide water and basic necessities to a national emergency. <br /><br />And some people think this government should also be in charge of healthcare and every other little detail of my life. <br /><br />I don't think so. :rolleyes:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yea, they could have dropped in food and water pretty easily.<br /><br />However, maybe they did, but the media failed to report it.<br /><br />All they want to show is the doom and gloom.<br /><br />Ken

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Uh, the report I just read on CNN from a reporter at the Dome said that the people had eaten the MRE's and had complained that they were having to eat cold food and drink nothing but water. Can you imagine? Your in the middle of the worst disaster in our history and you can't even get a Coke! How tough is that? <br /><br /> The largest problem I see is the lack of news. It's not anything different than any other tragedy. Rumors fly because no real info gets through. They have no power, no transportation, no way to relay information or get info. Have you seen the pictures and video of the area up in Mississippi? How about Alabama? The area has been leveled. How do you organize a relief effort when there is NOTHING there? <br /><br /> People in this country are so used to watching TV and seeing things happen "right away" that they can't understand why things take so long. The most infuriating comment I've heard so far was that it only took hours to get to the Trade Tower victims because they were all white. That made my blood boil! Yea, this is exactly the same situation, right? <br /><br /> These people are so used to having everything done for them that they can't survive on their own. There's no government workers there to hold their hands and help them through. It's tough but what can you expect during an unexpected disaster like this. <br /><br /> But, as usual, it's somebody else's fault. <br /><br />UFM82

aspeck

Staff member

Seems to me the response has been pretty swift, taking into account that communications were wiped out, hospitals were wiped out, places to store things and house people were wiped out, electricity was wiped out, ... Before evacuating people for medical emergencies you have to have a place to take them. What are you gonna do, sit them on a road somewhere and leave them alone? You haven't helped them and made 2 times the work for you.<br /><br />Gotta get the lines of communication and the infrastructure up to help all before you can help the one or two (thousand).<br /><br />All in all, what I am seeing is terrible, but the agencies at work are doing a great job under a lot of pressure and lack of sleep.

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Just another real-world example of how compitent government really is. <br /><br />Let me see... 4 days to provide water and basic necessities to a national emergency. <br /><br />And some people think this government should also be in charge of healthcare and every other little detail of my life. <br /><br />I don't think so. :rolleyes:
Great point !

Ralph 123

Captain

I heard last night the were getting two meals a day and water and medical treatment inside the dome. In fact, one lady was complaining about the MREs last night on O'Reilly. I think it is a case of the media either not knowing what's going on or just hyping it.<br /><br />I heard a doctor who had been supplying medical care inside since day one and he was talking baout the Guard inside trying to maintain order.

KaGee

Admiral

I will say this...<br /><br />When we "dropped" relief supplies in several events in Africa, the supplies ended up in the hands of war lords and and elements out to oppose any help to the people for their own benefit.<br /><br />In light of what has been happening on the ground, I see similar scenarios in that any dropped supplies would also have been looted and hoarded by the animals. The children, elderly and sick would probably not seen a drop.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

On the contrary, news coverage is plenty, albeit the negative news coverage. If proper news coverage is given then the nation would know what a hugh undertaking it is to organized a relief action. Things like who is going to be in charge etc... has to be taken into consideration. Once the who is in place then the what and the where comes into play. <br />You can clearly see that the reporters are covering the news to gain rating. <br />It sure is easy to say that there is no support for the poeple below when you are flying and moving from one place to another in a helicopter. <br />Even some reporters have to report the truth but the editor might have sencor out the good and leave the bad part to be aired to the mass.<br />The fallacy lies in all of us who believed every words that is uttered out of the TV and radio.<br />My $0.02 worth.

crab bait

Captain

i think the action BEFORE the storm was abismal.. why even rely on the superdome to house people.. who's the king retard of that decesion..?? big paper roof cat 5 cain<br /><br />hoards of buses should of been commandered an evac'd all .. <br /><br />they knew days before.. the target an intensity.. <br /><br />hosiptal ship un-achored an carolina bound at storm impact..<br /><br />the pumps run on electric.. ( same king-o-tards.? )<br /><br />plan & ramp up fema days before impact..<br /><br />there's only '3 day golden survial grace period'.. how about the people in 'back buck hickhollow'.. they ain't had a drink in a week.. <br /><br />all i'm sayin' we could & can & should do better next time.. <br /><br />hurricain season doesn't ramp up untill late september..

ehenry

Commander

The folks in Back Buck Hick Hollow I promise you are doing better than the folks in New Orleans. They atleast know what it takes to survive and they are out where they can move from place to place.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> The folks in Hick Hollow i promise you are doing better than the folks in New Orleans. They atleast know what it takes to survive and they are out where they can move from place to place.
Yep, us backwoods folk knows what it takes to get thru a week, month or whatever, not like them city folk that survive on what they can run out to the store and get right now.<br /><br />With that said, I too, concur that a lot more could have been done before it hit.<br />They knew the projected path and it was going to be close enough, IMO, to call out the troops and get everyone out of there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> The folks in Hick Hollow i promise you are doing better than the folks in New Orleans. They atleast know what it takes to survive and they are out where they can move from place to place.
...and I'm sure they do not have the "what are they gonna do for me" syndrome!

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey crab bait. Maybe you missed the fact that people were dancing on Bourbon street Monday after the storm talking about how they dodged the big one... These folks were told to evacuate and ignored the order.<br /><br />Maybe you also missed the fact that the superdome survived nicely - it's not the dome, it's the people inside.<br /><br />Ya, maybe they should stop picking people off roofs and such and start ferrying people to hospital ships offshore... That makes excellent sense.<br /><br />Pumps? Where are you going to pump the water when the levies are broken? back into the lake to flow back into the city?<br /><br />Maybe they should put you in charge of FEMA

KaGee

Admiral

Maybe you missed the fact that people were dancing on Bourbon street Monday after the storm talking about how they dodged the big one...
They were dancing before and during not to mention after. They were in essence giving Katrina the finger and she gave it back to 'em.<br /><br />A Fox reporter asked one of them Sunday why they were not evacuating and the guy said "none of your f$$#@%^ing business" on live TV. What a class act he was.<br /><br />In addition, the bulk of those that went to the Dome waited until the 11th hour to do so. I saw them standing in the street when the sky let loose.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Just another real-world example of how compitent government really is. <br /><br />Let me see... 4 days to provide water and basic necessities to a national emergency. <br /><br />And some people think this government should also be in charge of healthcare and every other little detail of my life. <br /><br />I don't think so. :rolleyes:
Agreed, the only time they react promptly is when taxes need increase, or troops are needed in other countries. Its the PC thing.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

A few minutes ago on CNN they interviewed a man that was moved from the Dome to Texas. He did complain about the food they handed out, complained about the temperature inside of the Dome, and complained about the overcrowded conditions in the Dome. <br />He also said that there are so many poeple in there that it is too hard to get to a bathroom, so there is human waste everywhere.<br />What struck me is his attitude. Instead giving thanks for being alive he was complaining about teh conditions. So inconsiderate not to put him up in the Holiday Inn.