Question on Wakeboard length

jlcalbre

Cadet
I'm looking at buying at wakeboard and am trying to decide between two that are marked down considerably. I am new to wakeboarding but have been skiing for many years, including double and slalom trick skiing. One is 142 cm, but the bindings aren't very good. Basically two flaps that close down over your feet with a velcro strap that goes across them. The other is 136 cm, a bit wider than the other board, but has MUCH nicer bindings. I'm interested in that one becasue the bindings are so much nicer, and it's only about $20 more.

I am 6', 240 lbs. Everything I have seen indicates I should have a board of 140 cm or more. My question is, does that 2 inches really make that big a difference, especially with the slightly wider board? If so, I may wait a bit and spend some more money, but if the 136 would work, I would go ahead and get it. Thanks.

Devious

Seaman
Re: Question on Wakeboard length

i don't think the width really matters. when you ride, there is only 1 edge in the water and the other is in the air.

go with the longer board.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Width and Length both do matter...

With more width, you have more surface area in the water at a time.
A beginning rider does put more weight in the rear, but more advanced riders start to center out their weight more. and ride much more even.

The sandal (Strap-on) bindings are "OkaY" they will get you through your basics cutting the wake, in learning to jump the wake, and basic 180 spins. But, after that, they are pretty worthless. I have an OLD-skool Hyperlite skurfboard that has sandal bindings on it. I ride it from time to time just for fun.

With your height and weight, you are probably better off starting on the 142. I am only 170lbs, and I ride a 142 as well. Wakeworld has a board wizard that if you put in what you want it will give you the boards that suit you. You can use to get a general idea of what sizes and widths you should look into. Due to your previous learning curve with skiing, I would also suggest getting a beginner/intermediate board. Maybe something with Two molded fins and a removable center fin on each end. This will allow it to be really stiff with the center fin for learning, and when you start to get more advanced, you just pop that one out and it gives you a much more loose feeling. Also, the center fins will help is you end up in some choppier water.

Also, the rocker type makes a big difference as well. Most beginners start off with a Continuous rocker since it is more predictable and has a much more steady ?POP? each time you hit the wake. It is better for learning. A 3-stage rocker has much more pop, but it is inconsistent if you aren?t adjusted to it. A lot of boards use hybrid style rockers now. They pretty much fall in the Continuous rocker side of the spectrum.

One last thing is the year of the board. Now, I am not saying go buy a 2009 model board, but wakeboarding has come a very long way in the past ten years. Between shapes, nose and tails designs, rocker types, and the major component - materials, things have gotten much more advanced. I have demoed a few newer boards and they ride much nice than mine. I just haven?t been able to allow myself to spend the money on them. I have ridden a ?08 Axis and that thing was really smooth on the water. I also demoed a ?09 S4. It was very slick but had some nice pop.

Well, hope this helps in your hunt for a good board. If you don?t plan on getting really into the sport (Most people start that way and then get hooked), then any regular board should get you going. But, one thing I tell everyone that wants to try the sport out, be patient. Don?t rush to buy anything. A lot of places now will let you demo a lot of gear before you buy it. So, I suggest looking around to see if that is a possibility for you.
Buying your first board is a big commitment than people think. Not knowing anything and then just buying something random, can either make or break the sport for you.

Good luck? Let us know how things turn out.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also host some files that I found around the web that are introductory learning videos for wakeboarding.
PM me know if you are interested in viewing them, and I will send you the link.

dude if u are 6' 240 you should only be riding a minimum of 142... u ride anything less starting out and u will never stay up... your board is designed to counter balance your weight and height with water displacement... i have been riding for years and very experienced wakeboarder ... when u learn how to wakeboard u can ride a smaller board but whats the point ride the board that is designed for u and have fun with it.. u will feel more comfortable in the air when u know u are not going to have to land softly... let the board do what it is designed to do... ride the way u want to though don't take everyone's advice... feel it and ride it

P.S. I am a pro

vodka_mann

Cadet

I'm not sure if I buy into how important length is...

I'm 230 pounds and I used to have a smaller board (138 Blind Side Mike Wedington I think) and went to a Hyperlite Parks 142 a couple years ago and its not any easier to ride if you ask me. It feels a lot more bulky, hard to whip around, not much more pop either.

One thing that is very different about the boards is that the Parks lands much nicer - can't say if that's the length or the fact that my old board was like 10 years old and used older technology (a good board for its day though).

Another thing that sucks about a big board is that I like to bring my friends along and my buddies that are smaller hate the big board.

If you can try them out.