question on trim tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFD56

Cadet
I just purchased a 91 21 ft Baja with 7.4 magnum alpha one drive my question is should this outdrive have a trim tab i can,t tell if one is missing or it never had one.Any help would be appreciatted Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: question on trim tab

People have been known to remove them on higher powered outdrives to accomodate a larger prop. Look right above the prop on the cavitation plate it should be a vertical slightly wing shaped piece of metal. Then again it might be gone.<br /><br />Bob

HFD56

Cadet

it currently doesn,t have one there and it has a mirage plus prop on it but not sure of the size

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fone_Man responded to a similar question some months ago. He said Merc has all but eliminated the "trim tab" and instead installs a sacrificial zinc plate in it's place. It looks and mounts like the old trim tab...only it's a flat disk with no "skeg". My Merc tech buddy told me the same thing. He said with power steering, you'll notice no increase in prop torque with the flat disk vs. the older style. However, you should have one type or the other installed due to it's anti-corrosion function.<br /><br />Walt

HFD56

Cadet

Thanks walter,i do have the flat disc there so that completly answers my question thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.