question on transporting a canoe on the roof of a small pickup

ziggy

Admiral
morning folks.
i finally figured out how i'm gonna get on the water after winterization of my Nineteen.

a canoe.

my first question on canoeing is how do i transport it?
this is how i got it set up now. it's not been road tested yet.
004_zps9679d440.jpg

008_zpsb1e620d2.jpg

005_zps4d018c65.jpg

006_zps772bb984.jpg

will this work? i got some more webbing and could go with a v for tie down to the ft if that would be better.
i guess my main concern is side to side. i don't have much more width of the truck for the sides of the canoe to rest on. i suppose a roof rack would be better, but i don't have one of them either.
anyone got any suggestions as to how to make this better or a way to prevent it sliding off the roof. the canoe is sitting on a kinda sticky rubber mat between the roof of the truck and the canoe. hopefully preventing the canoe from sliding sideways..

the ft. tie down is to a piece of the frame as there's no ft. bumper. the back is secured to a class III hitch.

Re: question on transporting a canoe on the roof of a small pickup

Looks good so far, but I would add some sort of frame in the bed to support the canoe and prevent sideways movement. Build a frame using 2x4s.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

looks OK as is. It's not rocket surgery.

Cross winds are the issue.

Rack in the back is a typical rig, as suggested.

Surf board racks on the roof help.

I have some foam blocks made for canoes; they slide onto the gunwales with a slit on top, and are cut out on the bottom for a basic roof rack like on a suburban.

Too bad cars don't have rain gutters any more; I had a rig for my landcruiser that were clamps you attached to 2x4s.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd pick up some canoe blocks unless you don't care about your truck roof. That yoga mat isn't likely to last
http://www.campsaver.com/canoe-blocks-singles?gclid=COXh1qzUirMCFYs7Mgod4yQARQ

I'd also use straps that have an actual ratchet rather than those super light duty straps you have on now. And as the retired guy said, you need to support the canoe over the bed with something.

robert graham

Admiral

Looks great!...I've been carrying my canoe on top of my car for 25+ years now and never any problems. The only thing I'd change on your set-up is use 2 straps in the front, each one leading down towards the lower right and lower left bumber areas....that keeps side winds and turbulence from large trucks from trying to blow the front of your canoe either right or left. Maybe add a wooden A-frame type support back at the transom area down into back of truck bed....lots of wind at 70MPH on the interstate, and you wouldn't want that thing to blow off and maybe cause an accident!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Ziggy, I wouldn't trust that setup with my canoe. Too many potential failure points that would turn into a chain reaction and too many opportunities for it to shift. If you don't want to spring for a rack, which I completely understand, I'd suggest you pony up sixty or seventy bucks and do it right. Here's what I'd recommend for your rig. I'll suggest the components first then talk about how to deploy them.

First, don't use ratchet straps. They're a no no for canoe transport. Get some good cam straps. They're cheap, very effective, and easy to use. You'll wonder where they've been all your life. I can point you in the right direction if you have trouble finding some. Second, get a "goalpost". It's a contraption that slides into your receiver and looks like, well, a goalpost.:p Should be available at your local big box sporting goods store for fifty bucks or so. You might even find one on CL. You'll find it useful for transporting other stuff too. Third, get a pool noodle. Don't think that reqires any elaboration, but you'll find the piece you don't need very handy for storing crawler harnesses, etc.

Now the deployment. Cut two chunks a foot or so long off the noodle and split them lengthwise. Slide them onto the gunwales at the point where they meet your roof. Put the bow on the roof and the stern on the goalpost positioning the boat so it's snug against the vertical brackets on the goalpost. Throw a cam strap over the boat, run it through the cab and out the other side and snug 'er down. Run another one over the back of the boat at the goalpost and cinch 'er up. Finally, tie bow and stern lines with whatever rope you have handy. The best method I've found for eliminating lateral movement is a V configuration tied off with a trucker's hitch. I'm betting you know exactly what I mean by that, but I'll be glad to elaborate if necessary.

Please don't transport the canoe using the dangerous method displayed in the pics. You could easily end up with a missile that would cause all sorts of carnage. I know it's tempting to make do with what we have, and I'm all for that, but in this case that approach would be penny wise and pound foolish. My .02.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're not going to be hauling a bunch of stuff in the bed I'd get a hitch extender and haul it in the bed with the hitch extender supporting it. You can also use the hitch extender the other way (tall instead of long) to provide support to the back end of the canoe when hauling it on the roof.

oldjeep

Admiral

First, don't use ratchet straps. They're a no no for canoe transport. Get some good cam straps. They're cheap, very effective, and easy to use.

Cam straps is what he has - and they suck for securing anything since they actually bite into the strap webbing.

oldjeep

Admiral

IF you haul very frequently then an inexpensive rack like this one works well.
P7100002.JPG

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Cam straps is what he has - and they suck for securing anything since they actually bite into the strap webbing.

My mistake. They are cam straps, but not the right kind. These are what he needs. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?p=Q_I&pfid=1440&w=1440 They're used for securing boats to vehicles and frames to whitewater rafts for class V rowing and absolutely do not suck. I have a pile of various sizes and wouldn't take anything for them.

oldjeep

Admiral

My mistake. They are cam straps, but not the right kind. These are what he needs. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?p=Q_I&pfid=1440&w=1440 They're used for securing boats to vehicles and frames to whitewater rafts for class V rowing and absolutely do not suck.

Those still suck - the teeth bite the webbing. Not safe for use in a high stress application.

tpenfield

Staff member

What could possibly go wrong??? let us know what does go wrong . . .

The only concern that I see is the limited size of the roof does not give you much of a support surface. So, it might find a way of wiggling itself off the roof.

It might be better if you rested & strapped the canoe on the top of the tailgate and the back edge of the roof. That way the contact points are much further apart.

oldjeep

Admiral

It might be better if you rested & strapped the canoe on the top of the tailgate and the back edge of the roof. That way the contact points are much further apart.

You definitely do not want to do that - inside of the canoe catches the wind that way.

halfmoa

Ensign

First, don't use ratchet straps. They're a no no for canoe transport.

Can you elaborate please? Is it due to overtightening?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Those still suck - the teeth bite the webbing. Not safe for use in a high stress application.

Hmmmm. Does any of these applications strike you as high stress?

yellow cat.jpgraft.jpghells.jpg

The frames the rowers are sitting on are secured to the boats with cam straps. If the cam straps were to fail the frames would come loose, and in the case of the catarafts, the rigs would come apart completely since the frame and straps are what hold them together. 150 quart coolers that weigh hundreds of pounds loaded and dry boxes four feet across are secured to the frame with cam straps, and when rafts flip in big water guess what? They're still there when the rafts are righted. I know it seems implausible, but they've been using cam straps (heavy duty cam straps, not TSC specials) in this manner as well as to secure boats to vehicles for decades. Pretty sure they can handle holding down a canoe. I know mine can.;)

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the great ideas folks. lots of them too. sweet.
i think in the end, i'm gonna have to do something to support the back half. an 'A' frame sounds most likely. a saw horse secured to the truck somehow maybe. i'll have to think about it.
The only concern that I see is the limited size of the roof does not give you much of a support surface. So, it might find a way of wiggling itself off the roof.
that's my biggest concern. it slides off the roof. everything will be a free for all.
that said. i've wiggled it around pretty viciously. it don't seem to move.
i've made one easy mod to my original pics.
009_zpsc72fa6f1.jpg

010_zps384ca481.jpg

tow points do seem better than the original idea. i did fore and aft on general principles.

i guess at this point. i'm gonna try my first transport. a local lake within the city limits. maybe 5 miles from home, no speeds above 40mph. i'll see what i think.
if i could come up with some idea to keep it pinned sideways from sliding off the roof (left or right) i'd feel pretty good about what i got going. other than perhaps everyone is right. my webbing is likely minimal for the deed, especially at highway speeds. my first highway speeds will be 55mph to maybe 60. no interstate speeds (75mph) likely for what i plan on doing with it.

thanks again for all the great comments.

oldjeep

Admiral

if i could come up with some idea to keep it pinned sideways from sliding off the roof (left or right) i'd feel pretty good about what i got going.

In the old days you would have just used gutter straps, there is probably a modern equivalent.

oldjeep

Admiral

Hmmmm. Does any of these applications strike you as high stress?

Nope, not even close to the same as securing a big sail to the top of a vehicle.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Nope, not even close to the same as securing a big sail to the top of a vehicle.

Okay. I'll continue to secure my sixteen foot canoes (simultaneously) to the top of my truck with the straps that were designed for that very purpose and have been proven over decades and millions of miles to be the safest and most effective method and you continue to insist that thousands of highly experienced paddlers, paddling instructors and canoe and kayak shops are wrong.:facepalm:

ziggy

Admiral

I'd pick up some canoe blocks unless you don't care about your truck roof. That yoga mat isn't likely to last
agreed, i don't think the yoga mats gonna last either. likely spurge and get some of them blocks. as for the roof of my 'good' truck. that will be a non issue for me. the truck looks fair in the pics. it's not. it's been wrecked, rusted out, beat to death my my 16 year old son till he was 22, etc. i'm lucky it even runs. i just spent a month finding a short in the main wire harness that made it not run.. it's a real piece of work for a truck. it does have a custom 4x4 wood rear bumper though:D, along with a side marker light (off a boat trailer) for a ft. let turn signal:D. the boy ran into a stationary poll (geez).
In the old days you would have just used gutter straps, there is probably a modern equivalent.
on that note. the truck don't have gutters. i was thinking maybe bolt some angle iron on the roof to prevent it from slipping off? pretty bad engineering, but it might fill the bill for it sliding off the roof.