Question on the shifting setup on a 1997 Force 90HP

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all (I am back),<br /><br />I am still working on my 90 HP FORCE 1997. I put a new water impeller in and <br />now that I have put it back together it on ly goes forward. How do I reset the<br />shifter?? Should the propeller turn in either direction in nuetral (like my 1991)??<br />When I move the shifter to forward the propeller should turn clockwise?? <br />When in reverse it should turn counterclockwise?? I have not put it in the <br />water yet. I want to make sure it runs both ways first. I tried turning the <br />shifting tube as far as I can both ways - marking it and putting the mark in the <br />middle of teh two marks for neutral but that has not worked.<br /><br />Thanks in advance. And thanks to everyone's help my 1991 90 HP FORCE is <br />purring right along.<br /><br />Robert ;)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Question on the shifting setup on a 1997 Force 90HP

on top ;)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still looking for help ;)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stiil looking for help ;)

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

AS LONG AS YOU REPLACED THE IMPELLER THE WAY IT CAME OUT(NOTE DIRECTION OF FINS) YOU SHOULD REALLY HAVE ANY PROBLEMS @ INSTALLING THE KEY WAY THE RIGHT WAY. AS FAR AS THE SHIFT ROD THE ROTATION CLOCKWISE OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE SHOULD GET YOU INTO FOWARD @ REVERSE.ON REVERSE I BELIVE THR ROD GOES INTO THE UP POSITION. :)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Lonewolf,<br /><br />I have no problem with the impeller. My problem is strictly the direction of rotation of the propeller. It travels clockwise no matter where the shift indicator is (forward - reverse - or neutral). As far as I know the propeller should not turn (except maybe slowly) with the shifter in neutral. It should turn clockwise when the shifter is in forward and counter clockwise when the shifter is in reverse ( I could have that backwards). But it runs according to RPM'S clockwise no matter where the shift lever is. (I think it is starting in gear as the only safety switch is in the shift handle). ;)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still trying to get this thing out of gear.

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your shifter needs adj in the linkage. Do a static test only meaning with the engine off. Adj the linkage bolt and nut have someone put in forward gear and rev untill its centered perfect. I used loctite thread locker on the threads just good insurance.

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry spin the prop as you do the static test by hand only keep the engine off untill its centered. Locktight just get some and use on everything even the bolts up through the lower housing good insurance.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks my new fishmaster,<br /><br />Believe it or not I tried that and that is why I say it only spins in the clockwise position. ;)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have also said that it appears to be stuck in forward in the lower unit - even though the shift rod still moves and seems to be moving the gear in the lower unit. It will lock in to where you can not move it (in what should be the rear position) until you rock the engine (backwards) with the propeller. :confused:

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Robert,<br /> Try this in this order,Disconnect shift rod at top of motor and remove pin/bolt.Unbolt lower unit and remove.Put shifter at helm area in forward position.Push shift rod in lower unit DOWN until it goes into gear(you may have to rotate prop shaft at same time)Re-assemble lower unit.Re-install shift rod pin/bolt at motor(top).<br />Your shifter and gearcase should now be synchronized.(Both in forward gear)<br />NOTE:This method is used for OMC motors,but I beleive principal is same...<br />NOT SURE IF FORCE SHIFT ROD GOES UP/DOWN or LEFT/RIGHT...

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks reel appeal,<br /><br />Force shifters (mine anyway) goes left to right. With the lower unit off I have done the following - I tried shifting all the way forward and turning the shaft in the lower unit all the way to the right and reinstalling the lower unit - shifting all the way rearward and turning the shaft all the way to the left and reinstalling the lower unit - the propeller still only turns clock wise.<br />When I Turn the shaft all the way to the left it locks in place (the propeller still only turns clockwise) and I have to turn/rock the propeller to get the shifter shaft to release so that I can turn it back to the right.