Question on Shore power

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Just put my boat in the water tonight. This is the first boat I have had with a shore power connection. I connected shore cable together, but the light on the fuse breaker panel that says "available power" stayed off. I had just launched so didn't have a meter with me to check anything. But I did have this portable washer thing that has a charger. I plugged it into the boats 110v connector. When I turned the main panel breaker on and turned on the receptacle breaker, I had power. When I turned breaker off, it went off. So it seems like I am getting power and maybe the light is burned out? Does that happen? I haven't taken the panel off yet, but I don't think it's a typical light bulb or anything. Just kinda part of the panel. Anyone ever experience something like this?

Thanks!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
But I did have this portable washer thing that has a charger. I plugged it into the boats 110v connector. When I turned the main panel breaker on and turned on the receptacle breaker, I had power. When I turned breaker off, it went off. So it seems like I am getting power and maybe the light is burned out? Does that happen? I haven't taken the panel off yet, but I don't think it's a typical light bulb or anything. Just kinda part of the panel. Anyone ever experience something like this?

Thanks!!
Lights can and do burn out over time.

Let me get this straight....
When you connect shore power you don't get power at the breaker or receptacle. When you plug in the "portable washer thing" into the shore power connection, (assume 120 VAC ) you get power to the breaker and receptacle?

Obvious first question.... is the shore power on at the dock?
Have you confirmed the shore power cable is good?
Could have broken or corroded wires in connector(s)

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
So was able to get down today and use my multimeter. Outlets are getting power - 120VAC. So I am assuming it's just the bulb. Will have to pull the panel and see what kind it takes and replace. Thanks!! And sorry for the confusion.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Update on this....I was down at the docks the other night working on a few things. The green light actually does come on....it's very faint, but it's on. So it works, and I am going to leave it alone. I just need to put my hands over it in the daytime if I want to see if light is on. Can barely see it that way, but you can catch a little flicker. I had pulled off the panel to take a look and it's not just a light, I would need to replace the whole light piece that has both the red and green on it.