Question on purchasing this boat/motor combo

Parrot6909

Seaman
Hello all.....well, I have decided to leave my two project boats be for now and purchase one that I can use for the remainder of the season, something a little friendlier to the wife's taste as well. The boat, 1983 Regal 180 Countess, hull is in good shape, interior is immaculate with all of the ammenities..the motor is a 1983 Johnson 70hp with 497 hours on it. Trailer is an 83' Sealion. Price, 3,000. Good deal? Not really sure how many hours are considered a lot. I have always had my parents boats to play with (they usually get new ones every few years) but I am not close enough to use those anymore and I never really considered the hours when buying my project boats.......thoughts?

envy83

Seaman
Re: Question on purchasing this boat/motor combo

It's not unrealistic for that age of motor (it actually indicates fairly light use) but if not properly maintained for its two decades of existence it is the point where some outboards will definitely start having problems. I would either have a good mechanic check it out (compression test, etc.) or lowball that $3000 quite a bit.