question on new suzuki hour meter? or how to read hours??

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
ok, so I bought a brand new boat a couple months ago with a 2013 suzuki 115hp engine on it.

The boat dealer and his factory techs all said each notch on the tach signals 10 hours (when you turn the key on and watch the needle sweep). I was reading the OWNERS MANUAL for the engine and it says each notch on the tach signals 50 hours. brought this up with the tech and he said its wrong.

I mean seriously? why would the factory have the wrong info?

which is right? I dont want to screw up my warranty by not taking the engine in for routine warranty related service at the right time.

Is there another way to read the exact hours on the engine? I know its computer controlled so is there a way to read whats actually stored on the computer?

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Go back and re-read your owner's manual - you are interpreting it incorrectly. No where does it state that "each notch signals 50 hours"

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
It will make more sense when you have more hours on the motor. Just take a 0 off the tach reading and that is your hours 3000 rpm is 300 hours.

Or work it backwards

Just add a 0 to the tach reading Example 200 hours tach will sweep to 2000RPM
100h ours tach will read 1000RPM

Now when you hit 500hours you will start over but get one lamp flash.

One flash and 1000rpm = Wait for it... 500 + 100 = 600 hours.

Two flash and 1000rph = 1000 + 100 =1100 hours.

You should also get a tone every 200 hours to alert you to change the oil. To reset it, turn the motor off and remove kill switch. Key to "ON" pull switch 3 times in less than 5 seconds. I could be wrong it might be 5 times. Ask your rigging dealer.