Question on installing a Generator (Costs?)

TheAviator

Cadet
I am seeing quite a few nice boats around 26' 27' or so that fit my bill on a cabin cruiser but with no generator. Generally what would be the cost on installing a generator that would run the electrical systems including most important an AC unit? Is this feasible? Or should this idea be scrapped and just do not buy anything that doesn't already have a generator on it. In my state, not having an AC is not an option. The cabin would get to 120 degrees or more in the summer without an AC.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Question on installing a Generator (Costs?)

Scrap the idea. The cost would be astronomical compared the the price of the boat. Meaning if your looking at a used boat. Most older boats in that length probably won't have one because of the lack of room in the engine compartment. Find one with it already installed. You will be far ahead.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Agreed on that. Aside from the fact that you'll have to replace the electrical panel for one that has the ability to transfer power to 110v/220v as well as 12v. The only other option would be a portable (secured to swim platform) generator and hatch mounted AC.

TheAviator

Cadet

OK thanks guys, so what you're saying is if it does not come with a generator, just don't buy it?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

OK thanks guys, so what you're saying is if it does not come with a generator, just don't buy it?

You can find them in that length with onboard air pretty easily. You could go the route of strapping a generator to the swim platform if you wanted, however that opens up a ton of other issues. Many safety issues and some logistics (probably don't want that generator back there when you are out on the water).

To properly put in an onboard generator you would have to figure out how to get it in there in a 26' boat (pull the motor probably). Cut holes in the hull for water inlet and exhaust (not that bad). The panel / wiring costs could potentially be very high. I'd research that part quite a bit. I've seen just single transfer switch to go from shore to generator for a $100 - $400 depending on the number of shore power plugs.

My suggestion though is to find a boat that has the generator built in already so it's wired 100% correctly, you get the gauges and switches where they belong and placed random places, etc. They do make them in that length, they are just harder to find.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

there are plenty of boats that size that have space for a genny without one installed and a simple transfer switch can handle the wiring portion.... depending on the genny you choose, new or used, and how much if any of the work you can do yourself you are looking at generally $2000 - $12000....

an extra 10 grand will buy a LOT more boat if you are shopping older stuff but if you are looking at newer stuff it might be a flash in the pan

FWIW I am much more resourceful than most and managed to buy a used 1950's genny for $350 and install it myself... my boat was already prepped for the electrical portion and I installed it myself... in 3 years since I have yet to find another genny so cheap

rbh

Fleet Admiral

^^^+1
Ours has the hatch and mounting area already to go from the factory.
( as soon as I find a cheap enough unit)
'All' I need to do is, move the water tank to the lower position and do the plumbing and wiring. its going to be a PITA I bet, but worth it LOL

Thalasso

Commander

Like the post above said. You can get ones that mount in the hatch. Think of it like a window A/C unit. Other then that i wouldn't be bothered.By the time your done removing the engine buying the A/C unit and controls-Generator-A/C/D/C panel,strainers, exhaust system and wiring. Doing the install and hoping you don't run into any other problems along the way, you won't feel like going boating.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

there are plenty of boats that size that have space for a genny without one installed and a simple transfer switch can handle the wiring portion.... depending on the genny you choose, new or used, and how much if any of the work you can do yourself you are looking at generally $2000 - $12000....

an extra 10 grand will buy a LOT more boat if you are shopping older stuff but if you are looking at newer stuff it might be a flash in the pan

FWIW I am much more resourceful than most and managed to buy a used 1950's genny for $350 and install it myself... my boat was already prepped for the electrical portion and I installed it myself... in 3 years since I have yet to find another genny so cheap

Curious to what brand of marine generator you found ? Water cooled ?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

onan 3500 watt...... yep... water cooled is the only to fly imho

single cylinder maj engine, runs at 3600 rpm.... I also have a 1000 watt version with the exact same engine that runs at 1800 rpm

Last edited:

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

onan 3500 watt...... yep... water cooled is the only to fly imho

single cylinder maj engine, runs at 3600 rpm.... I also have a 1000 watt version with the exact same engine that runs at 1800 rpm

Here is what I found and have used in a lot of things. I had to buy the whole wrecked motor home to get one of these but only had on a pontoon Boat open air . Air cooled so don't know how it could be applied to OP's yacht . Onan Emerald II 3000w 120v 2cyl 1800 rpm sweet . Its going on a Small RC garden Tractor as its heavy so I want it to drive to where I want to use . As far as his question on cost ,to water cooled it and exhaust /muffler wouldn't be a problem on a bigger boat .

026.jpg

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

air cooled works on a toon but not in an enclosed hull