Question how to tow on the water

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just read a thread discussing helping out (or not) a stranded boater on the water. Made me realize I didn't know something that might be important someday.

If being towed am I correct that you tie off to the bow ring? And if towing you tie off to the rings that a skier or tube line would go to? If so how do you have a clue if your boat is large enough to handle the weight of whatever it is that's behind you?

Do you draw the line at something about your own size? Something smaller? Something 1.5 times your own size? Good intentions might run amok if the transom suddenly started coming away from the rest of the boat.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Question how to two on the water

If the transom is coming out you are towing to hard. You could tow a cabin cruiser with a canoe. Just go easy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Back in the day in the Milwaukee harbor, I had a 15' aluminum with a 15 hp motor.

Towed in an 18' bass boat.

On another occasion, I towed in a 21-23'? Sea Ray SRV.

Towed them both right into the South Shore Yacht club but did not try to get them thru the mooring field to the launch. I left them at the club dock.

Rope was looped around the transom cap several times, then held in my hand, as I wanted to be able to set it free if anything went wrong.

Would I do this again?
Probably not, but both days were calm winds, and the tow was short.

There are several threads on here that really do a great job of teaching how to tow.
From type of rope, anchor points, communication between boats, where the passengers should ride, whether or not the towed boat should "steer" or raise the outdrive.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide a link.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I towed a 22' closed bow boat the other day with my 17.5' Seaswirl. I used our heaviest tubing rope and tied one end to his bow eye and the other end to our rear rope anchor point. I just kept the RPMs down and took it slow back to the launch ramp. It's not rocket science, but I'm sure someone knows a very detailed procedure that must be followed or you're doing it wrong.
Oh, the guy was making his way backwards back to the launch ramp. That's what caught our attention. We asked him if he wanted help and be was glad to get it. Seems his shift cable came loose.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tow at displacement speeds (4-5 mph max). Any faster and you are just pushing water. At that speed there is not much strain on your engine or boat. Boat being towed is from the bow eye. It's low and strong. Tow from a solid point on the transom like you would pull a skier or tube. I have two 20' heavy lines that are for emergencies like needing to tie to a buoy or towing, but a tubing rope is great. Not a ski rope unless you are going a short distance at slow speed and even then i would not be comfortable.
I've towed boats a couple miles and been towed for much shorter distances. I've towed my 30' dock four miles without any issue.
This summer I stopped towing my kids because I saw a stranded boat and went to help. A deck boat had stopped and offered them the use of a phone as apparently their own phone was not getting a signal. The key had broken off in the ignition. They wanted me to tow them about 10 miles and offered $50 to do it. I told them I'd take them to shore where they could tie up or to an area with cabins that someone could drive to but they did not want to do that. I checked there ignition and hot wired the boat through their safety kill switch and showed them how to start it and put it back together. They seemed upset that I fixed the boat rather than spending half a day saving them and drove off without a thank-you. While we were there their phone rang but they did not answer it.
I'll stop for the next people too and hope someone stops if I have trouble. However, some people are weird.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Just read a thread discussing helping out (or not) a stranded boater on the water. Made me realize I didn't know something that might be important someday.

If being towed am I correct that you tie off to the bow ring? And if towing you tie off to the rings that a skier or tube line would go to? If so how do you have a clue if your boat is large enough to handle the weight of whatever it is that's behind you?

Do you draw the line at something about your own size? Something smaller? Something 1.5 times your own size? Good intentions might run amok if the transom suddenly started coming away from the rest of the boat.

Actually, the proper way to tow a disabled vessel is side-by-side with the disabled boat positioned slightly forward of the tow vessel such that the transom of the tow vessel is exposed. The two are tethered tightly together in an "X" fashion using the mooring cleats; much like springlines when mooring. This allows for total control of the disabled vessel. Never tow a disabled vessel like a skier!

NHGuy

Captain

Richard is advocating the fanciest system ever, and it works I am sure. But I've only seen it used once. Both pay and amateur tow folks will normally tow from stern to bow as all the other posts have described.
The main thing is go slow and keep the rope out of the prop.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I well remember back about 50 years ago, when I was much younger and really didn't have much of a clue, on several occasions I used our boat to tow others back to the ramp .... we'd take a ski or anchor rope, hook it to the bow eye of the other boat and tie to one of the eyes on our boat's transom .... then we would take in the slack slowly and here we'd go .... I well remember several times having to stop to cool our boat's outboard and having to yell to the folks in the other boat to move around so as to shift weight in their boat .... guess the boating angles were working overtime because we always made it and never hurt any equipment .... I eventually figured out that going slow was better for all concerned and go about it in a much different manner

Jim

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As cr2k said you can tow anything with any boat, you just need to carefull.

I have towed alot of people and the first thing I do is quick primer so they know what is going on.

1-Where are you wanting to end up?, I have a 6 gallon gas tank and I don't mind towing people a long distance but I will be needing gas at the other end to get myself back to the dock, do you have gas?

2-I will do this but I don't want to hear anything about I messed your boat up, this doesn't clear you totally but they know where you stand and if they don't agree maybe think twice about helping them.

3- Even though your boat isn't running you still need to steer, few people know this, started towing one guy and he went to the back of his boat and started partying with his guests.

I have towed everything from jon boats to 25' toons with a standard 3/8 anchor rope, you just start slow and don't go more than 5 mph and remember they don't have brakes so easy on and off the throttle and comunicate with the other boat, let them know exactly what you are going to do before you do it.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Richard is advocating the fanciest system ever, and it works I am sure. But I've only seen it used once. Both pay and amateur tow folks will normally tow from stern to bow as all the other posts have described.
The main thing is go slow and keep the rope out of the prop.

Actually, the advocate of this method is the USCG. I learned and practiced this when a member of the Auxillary. The goal is to create a single unit out of the two vessels. Eliminates the "fishtailing" that will occur with the towed vessel and permits complete control of both vessels. No ropes in the water also eliminates any chance for fowling the tow vessel. Try it a few times and you'll realize just how easy it is to do.;)

foodfisher

Captain

^^ I like it. Complete control. ^^

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Somewhere I bet there is a formula that tug boats use that would show-
towing speed is equal to the distance of the (boats separation X weight of towed vessel/drag).

Or something like that.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You can always tow a boat that is the same size as yours (barring storm conditions) and even bigger.

If your transom seperates, it's not a towing problem; you have a defective transom, and better to learn now than later.

While towing along-side is a good method, "never tow like a skiier" is absurd. Unless you are referring to speed.

It is not dangerous, as far as lines parting, for the typical recreational boater to tow another. There is no reason to fear liability, etc. as long as you are careful.

The most essential aspect is to tow on center. If you don't have a good ski harness, just take one of your lines and tie one end to one stern cleat/eye and the other end to the other. Take his bow line, from his bow eye or centered bow cleat, and attach to the center of your stern line with a bowline (knot). This allows the towed boat to center with yours. When you start off, start slow and have someone in the tow boat pay out the line, keeping some tension and starting movement; when you get to the stern line harness just throw it over the motor.

the longer the line, the better, in open water. tighten up when you get close to the pier, even go along side. That's when I might tie his bowline to my stern cleat and bypass the harness rig. Also keeps lines free of the prop.

Of course, since you are an I-boater, your boat is already properly equipped with a bow and stern line at least the length of your boat, as well as a real anchor line. You don't need to use ski lines, and shouldn't. It is astounding, however, how few boats have lines, or at least any that are any good. They are the ones that don't have paddles, too. But start with their anchor line--hopefully they have one. if the towed boat uses his own bowline, and you use your stern for the harness, it's easy to disconnect and each go his own way with his own gear.

Whether the towed boat leaves a motor down--even part way--depends on how it's tracking in the conditions. Down adds control but also drag. That's one reason to have a person on board the towed vessel and communications devices (radio preferred).

A waterman I know has an old 40' wooden barge; he ties his 14' whaler with about a 25 to it and drives for miles, even against currents. takes a while, but once they get going, they go. Having seen that, I am not concerned about my boat being smaller. However, hull shape would be a concern; a big heavy deep cabin boat will be different than a bay-boat hull of equal length.

emoney

Commander

I've been towed before thanks to my BoatUS towing insurance (whew) in a couple different boats and each time the Tow Captain made sure his line was secured around my forward cleat NOT the trailer bow ring. He told me that's the "only" way to tow a boat. I'm taking his word for it, since this is what he does for a living. I also noticed that he didn't play out that much line. I'd imagine it was probably in the 50' or less length. Wouldn't surprise me if he told me it was 25', as a matter of fact. Once I started thinking about it, it makes sense as the longer the rope the more movement of the disabled vessel, which isn't a good thing when you're trying to control the boat.

As for if I was the tow vehicle, I noticed in his case he has a "harness" that was much like a "Y" so that the force of the tow line was distributed to both sides of his transom, and it came together much past his outboards. You could probably tie your own line to create the same effect. As for the line, I wouldn't use anything but the anchor rode as it's the strongest line on the boat, to include a ski rope. I did have a guy with a 20' center console try to tow my 1st sailboat, a 22' Sloop(no wind or motor at the time) and we kept "snapping" lesser lines. This particular person is one of those guys that doesn't listen to advice, like when I said..."I don't think this line is strong enough". Or, "this is a non-planing hull, so there's no sense "gunning" your boat", etc. etc. lol.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I tow my 34' houseboat every spring, 'n fall, with my 12' tinny, with a 7.5hp Merc.....

The tinny had a 5.5hp johnnyrude that worked better, as it was an antique, 'n didn't have thru-prop exhaust,...
Reverse was the gear of choice,...
I'd just hold the tow rope, 'n idle along...

Now with the 7.5hp Merc, I need a rope holder, sittin' in the center seat, as I keep duckin' my head, avoidin' the tow line...
Gotta use forward, as there's little to no thrust in reverse...

Granted, it's only a 300 yard tow, 'n I only do it in very calm conditions...

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

tighten up when you get close to the pier, even go along side. Whether the towed boat leaves a motor down--even part way--depends on how it's tracking in the conditions. Down adds control but also drag. That's one reason to have a person on board the towed vessel and communications devices (radio preferred).

HC, these two challenges are also addressed by the USCGAUX towing guideline for side-by-side towing. First, there is no need to re-arrange your towing setup in order to deposit your distressed vessel at the dock; you simply dock a wider load and let the distressed vessel moor to the dock, release your lines and off you go. Second, being side-by-side promotes easy communications and allows for further life-saving accommodations should it become necessary.;)

NYBo

Admiral

When towing behind with any significant wave or swell action, you have to adjust the length of the tow line to keep the boats in synch. Otherwise, you will be alternately towing the disabled boat "uphill" and "downhill," as it were. This is another advantage of a side tow for the non-pro.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First, side by side towing. I see the control aspects of this but have two concerns. Why have I never seen Sea Tow and BoatUS towing side by side? They do it for a living, and in watching them, they are good at it. Second, boats don't rock side to side in unison (notice what happens when a wake hits your raft up). In choppy waters, a lot of potential, for boat damage, albeit mostly cosmetic. Do you really need the extreme level of control? So situations maybe. Most not.

Next, ripping off the transom. It is not "the rest of your boat" that does the towing. It engine or stern drive, hard attached to the transom, that does the towing. They will stay together. There is no reason the rest of the boat should pull apart from your engine/drive/transom combo.

Sea ya...