Question from a new F150 owner....

Genesis

Cadet
Ok, I've owned lots of Yams including Ox66s, F115s, etc - but my new F150s have the new gauge pack that has a lot of infomration on there, and I've got a question...

Under load the temperature gauge reads in the upper half of the range. At idle or under light load its dead center (once warmed up).

The engines do not overheat and both (I have twins) show the same readings under power.

The gauge looks like this when under load:

C|___|___|___|___|_V_|___|H

The "V" is the pointer, obviously....

I'm used to gauges being calibrated so that the "center" is the normal operating range. This looks like they're running warm - not hot, but warm.

Propping is correct (right at 6k RPM WOT with a moderate load) and they're running great.

Of course what I don't get from these gauges is an actual TEMPERATURE! Argh.

Is this expected behaivor? This is my first time with an outboard that has an actual temperature GAUGE! :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question from a new F150 owner....

what guages do ya have? is it command link ?

Genesis

Cadet

Yeah, its the new square gauges (I guess those are "command link") that have the detailed data displays.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its command link, the square tach can display 32 different configurations.
but the temp display is not changable and only reads a graph.
you should have gotten the command link hand book at engine delivery.

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice

I also have a new 2006 Yamaha F150 with square command link gauges. My temperature gauge sits exactly as your illustration shows. I bought it two months ago and the motor has 90 hours on it now and I haven't had a problem with it. It goes up to where your illustration goes every time I go 4k+ rpm to cruise. I think its just the way the gauges are calibrated. The other two readings appear to stay in the middle almost always. I talked to the dealer, whom I know well, and he said it isn't an issue. The 20HR checkup came clean. The only other "odd" behavior I notice is the bottom metric, which I believe is for water (upside down bulb icon) drops to below the mid way mark after coming down from 4k+ rpm and idling to drift. Good Luck.

Genesis

Cadet

No, the bottom icon is oil pressure. It is normal for it to show low coming off a run until the engine cools down some - as long as the low oil pressure alarm doesn't sound at no-load (idle) its fine.