Question for the ones that know

sunkatchers

Cadet
OK, here goes with my first question; I have had boats most of my adult life which some say has only occurred since I turned 60.
?Everyone can have a HAPPY CHILDHOOD you just have to decide when.?
I have never owned a Toon but a friend of mine got one two years ago and he REALY ticked me off. His boat rides so smooth, holds a ton of people and has so much room. I kick my old boat now every time I walk past it. It pounds and pounds and did I mention that IT POUNDS. Even though it is a 20? I/O unless you are double jointed and don?t mind sitting with your left elbow tucked under your right armpit to fish it is great. I can beat just about anything on the lake but it pounds. I digress.
I have followed the forums for months now; to the point that my wife thinks I am having an online affair with someone with the last name of ?Tritoon?.
What I have come up with so far is a 24?tritoon with vinyl flooring and a 150 Merc. or Honda four stroke, a Lowrance Endure Safari GPS to navigate and mark my fishin holes, I will take my Mark V fish finder from the old boat (Did I mention IT pounds), it needs to have 25? toons with strakes and under-skinning, I will use ?Toon brite? and Shark hide on the toons before it goes in the water, get a Magnesium anode to hang over the side while docked, get a Double bimini top, equip it with a 55lb thrust foot controlled Minn kota 12 volt trolling motor. Purchase a bunk style trailer and equip it with toon guides for easier loading.
How am I doing? Am I pointing in the right direction? I will be boating on Lake Erie and like to run out about 8 miles off shore to get into the Walleye.
Ron

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Question for the ones that know

As far as I'm concerned you were all over it until you mentioned going eight miles offshore on Erie. Not sure a toon, even a triple tube model, is the best boat for that. Others with experience in that kind of water can offer a better informed opinion on that and possibly dispute me. That said, if you end up with the rig described I'll certainly be impressed with it. Welcome aboard katchers.:cool:

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I missed your reason for wanting a toon. ;)

Jeep Man

Commander

Taking a 'toon 8 miles out on Erie................not me brother, not even 2 miles out. Nice toon though!

sunkatchers

Cadet

Thanks for the comments and concerns guys and you have sort of hit on my conundrum. Both I and wifey enjoy the leisurely days whiled away on the inner bay off Long Point. The bay is large and about 6’ to 12’ deep and is usually calm with a bit of chop, ergo the plusses of the pontoon boating style seem to be a great match. In late July and early August the trouble starts as the Walleye are running on the North shore of Lake Erie. (Walleye Fever is not pretty) Now on most days in that time period the weather is good with only light winds that put a roll to the lake in the 1.5’ to 3’ range. Some days it is dead calm until later in the day then the 1’ to 2’ers will show up. Until the rolls start to white cap I would say it is really quite calm. I wouldn’t dream of going out on the days when the wind is on the rise and the rollers are crashing to shore. I have tried as best I can to get answers from folks that have Tooned in rough water ether on purpose or got caught when the weather turned. I may be asking a little much out of a tubed boat but this is what got me hooked on a triple toon to give me that little more edge on rough water.
Ron

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you can make 40 mph and your 8 miles out it looks like about 12 minutes to make shelter. Assuming you can maintain speed.
We had a little 50 hp 18 ft twin tube toon that handled 2 to 3 ft waves easily but we were never more than about 5 minutes from
excellent shelter and that was at only about 19 or 20 mph.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have never been on Lake Erie but I take my 24 ft PT Boat out on the Chesapecke bay everytime I go out. The Channel is 40 ft deep so I can't see much difference. I only have a 90 hp two stroke Mercury. It's not the fastest but it will move along. Go for it. Iv've been thinking about an elctric trolling motor ,maybe if I see one on sale I'll get one.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard Sunkatchers. Seems to me a tritoon should handle the lake if you are familiar enough with condition to see rough times coming. Does your freind with the toon use it in the same manner, and if so, how does that work out? Is his a tritoon or two toon boat?
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glenn

sunkatchers

Cadet

Welcome aboard Sunkatchers. Seems to me a tritoon should handle the lake if you are familiar enough with condition to see rough times coming. Does your freind with the toon use it in the same manner, and if so, how does that work out? Is his a tritoon or two toon boat?
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glenn

Thanks for the welcome Glen. My friend does not have a trailer so his boat never goes on the lake. He uses it on the protected inter bay. If we wanted to go out on the lake I would trailer my V-hull which I want to get rid of in favor of becoming a “TOONER”. My friend has a 22’er I want a 24’er, he has a pontoon, I want a tritoon. He has a 90hp 2 stroke Suzuki; I want a 150 Merc 4stroke. You know how friends are.(na-na-nu-na-na). We can be such jerks when it comes to playing the Mine is bigger than Yours game. Right?

The Rooster

Ensign

Welcome Ron, it certainly seems you have done a good bit of research on"Toons". You seem to have a good handle on the boating conditions you may encounter, but to remind you of what some others have said, if things get real ugly, you could seriously dent toons and bend side panels. Having said that, we've had to run our toon in 3-4 footers crossing 8-10 miles of the lake, and it handled those conditions very well at just above planing speeds 20-24 mph. Good luck !!!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Pontoon boats have come along way in recent years. With the tri tune reinforced pontoons these machines ride better than ever. My only concern is Lake Erie can get uglu fast. It may be more dificult to navigate in 6ft swells. A pontoon will not rise and plow like a planing hull which is why it does not pound in shallow chop. the pontoons will be more likely plow through large swells floding your deck.
You should be fine on a calm day, you will have to pay close attn. to the wheather.

chriscraft254

Commander

If your boat can handle a wake from one of these cruisers, it can handle waves from wind. Pick your days and I think you will be just fine wiith a tritoon, especially in the size you are talking. Like already said, as long as the motor runs, you can be to shore in very little time. Just watch the weather and don't get caught in a bad storm. Good luck and enjoy!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If your boat can handle a wake from one of these cruisers, it can handle waves from wind.

Apples and oranges. While a wake from a big cruiser isn't to be taken lightly, it's fairly easy to avoid on a big body of water, and even if one doesn't manage to stay outside it it's a one shot deal that can be managed with decent boat control. Four to six foot rollers are an entirely different matter.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Under skin it and you'll be happy. One thing most don't consider is to under skin their pontoon. This will take a lot of your rough ride out plus add some top speed. Give it a try, you will not regret it. Cost will be a few hundred plus time.:D

sunkatchers

Cadet

Welcome Ron, it certainly seems you have done a good bit of research on"Toons". You seem to have a good handle on the boating conditions you may encounter, but to remind you of what some others have said, if things get real ugly, you could seriously dent toons and bend side panels. Having said that, we've had to run our toon in 3-4 footers crossing 8-10 miles of the lake, and it handled those conditions very well at just above planing speeds 20-24 mph. Good luck !!!

Thanks Rooster. Your reply is exactly what I was wanting. People that have actually been out in the rougher waves and can give me some experience to draw on. I am not quite dumb enough to head 8 miles out into the lake with a storm coming and bucking 6’ waves and high winds but if it is a good fishin day, wind is up a little with an odd white cap showing on 1’ to 2’ers should I be forced back to bed or with a TRITOON will it be OK to motor out, get my count and get off the lake. I realize that slower speeds would be included in this trip but with all that weight from the extra Walleye I would have to slow down anyway. If I am 8 miles out and come in at 16mph, I am off the water in ? hour. I just can’t seem to get my head around the danger on a vessel that is unsinkable. Yes water over the decking if you are trying to run to fast but?????
Denting a toon or bending a side panel sounds more like a shallow water situation that I will be careful of when docking but where I fish it is 60’ deep.
Either missed something or just a befuddled old man.
Ron

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You needn't be running fast or in especially rough seas to take water over the bow. It's not a huge deal, but it will frighten whoever is aboard the first few times it happens, and it will quickly get old. You could also submarine, which will cause even whiter knuckles. I'm pretty sure the potential denting and bending issues Rooster refers to are not the result of shallow water collisions with objects. Also, you need to be prepared to hear rattling and vibration you don't experience with your current vessel because a pontoon boat has lots of connection points. I'm not trying to dissuade you. Just offering more stuff to consider.

The Rooster

Ensign

Just to follow up some, Ron, the two local lakes we boat the most on are shallow 6'-12' on average, so 3-5 footers is about the worse conditions we have to face. We find with our barge, anything up to about 4 footers is doable, but like "Coop" said, you're going to hear some strange noises from the flexing of the deck. In the larger head seas, no problems, we just take it easy. But, I find the bigger following seas much more challenging, hence the 20-24 mph versus 16-20 mph, so she dosen't fall completely off plane. That's been our experience w/ this boat and our older 243 Bentley. Hope it helps !!!

chriscraft254

Commander

Apples and oranges. While a wake from a big cruiser isn't to be taken lightly, it's fairly easy to avoid on a big body of water, and even if one doesn't manage to stay outside it it's a one shot deal that can be managed with decent boat control. Four to six foot rollers are an entirely different matter.

Its not apples and oranges! You obviously have never been on a pontoon boat on a river. The wakes that a large cruiser makes not only has the wake but the following sea that follows. On a weekend you have hundreds of boats chopping up the water with no where for the waves to go. They even bounce back out off the shoreline alot. I have seen poontoons run in this stuff smoother than a v hull. Pontoons are catamaran style boats, they offer a very good sturdy platform. You might ge a little wet, but who doesn't in the right conditions!

Also 4 to 6 foot rollers can be just fine in a dingy depending on the time period between swells. I don't think the op is going to venture out on a 4 to 6 swell day with his pontoon.

Op, you also might want to check into deck boats, These are very comfortable and would provide you with a v hull. Some of them are even have selfbailing decks.

I really think there are some people on this site, that probably don't leave the site of land ever!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Its not apples and oranges! You obviously have never been on a pontoon boat on a river. The wakes that a large cruiser makes not only has the wake but the following sea that follows. On a weekend you have hundreds of boats chopping up the water with no where for the waves to go. They even bounce back out off the shoreline alot. I have seen poontoons run in this stuff smoother than a v hull. Pontoons are catamaran style boats, they offer a very good sturdy platform. You might ge a little wet, but who doesn't in the right conditions!

Also 4 to 6 foot rollers can be just fine in a dingy depending on the time period between swells. I don't think the op is going to venture out on a 4 to 6 swell day with his pontoon.

Op, you also might want to check into deck boats, These are very comfortable and would provide you with a v hull. Some of them are even have selfbailing decks.

I really think there are some people on this site, that probably don't leave the site of land ever!

Okie dokie then. The only river I've been on in my PONTOON BOAT is the Arkansas River, which is frequented by commercial barges, houseboats, yachts, and cruisers. As for never leaving the site of land (not to be confused with the sight of land), I'm not sure how you would be able to make that determination since you're in Kentucky and I'm in Arkansas, but since you mentioned it Arkansas, like Kentucky, is a landlocked state and as such doesn't provide one with many opportunities to "leave the site of land ever!" (or again, the sight of land depending on how particurlar one is with regard to spelling). That said, I have been on large Corps impoundments frequented by all manner of watercraft and have experienced four foot swells in my PONTOON BOAT that likely approximate anything found on Kentucky waters in site (sight) or out of site (sight) of land, and it was not fun, nor would it be in Lake Erie, which by the way I've never had the pleasure of visiting, but I suspect is considerably wider than a river. So, despite your vast authoritative knowledge enhanced by your liberal use of exclamation points I must beg to differ. By the way, what kind of pontoon boat do you have? You have obviously never had a pontoon boat! Oh wait. Since I've never met you there's no way I could possibly know that. See how that works?:rolleyes:

chriscraft254

Commander

Okie dokie then. The only river I've been on in my PONTOON BOAT is the Arkansas River, which is frequented by commercial barges, houseboats, yachts, and cruisers. As for never leaving the site of land (not to be confused with the sight of land), I'm not sure how you would be able to make that determination since you're in Kentucky and I'm in Arkansas, but since you mentioned it Arkansas, like Kentucky, is a landlocked state and as such doesn't provide one with many opportunities to "leave the site of land ever!" (or again, the sight of land depending on how particurlar one is with regard to spelling). That said, I have been on large Corps impoundments frequented by all manner of watercraft and have experienced four foot swells in my PONTOON BOAT that likely approximate anything found on Kentucky waters in site (sight) or out of site (sight) of land, and it was not fun, nor would it be in Lake Erie, which by the way I've never had the pleasure of visiting, but I suspect is considerably wider than a river. So, despite your vast authoritative knowledge enhanced by your liberal use of exclamation points I must beg to differ. By the way, what kind of PONTOON BOAT do you have?

You can pick away at any spelling you wish, if thats what makes you feel good about yourself! Let me guess, spell check is your best friend or maybe your just smarter than me. lol I'm not here to appease your senses with correct spelling. I am here to entertain the thoughts of others on subjects brought to the forefront from people with less boating experience. Maybe I can learn something from them or just maybe they can learn a couple things from me. Either way is fine with me.

Since you seem to be interested I spent 6 years in the Marine Corp in some of the roughest waters you could possibly amagine. On and off ship. I was born on the coast in Norfolk Virginia. Lived up and down the east coast most my life and lived on the great lakes for about 3 years. Lived on the water and boated my entire life from the ripe old age of about 2 years. I have been on and navigated everything from the smallest canoe, pontoons,tritoons, tri-hulls, V-hulls, Cats, sportfishermen, and milatary craft. Even operated air boats and a pusher once. I have navigated everything from rough inlets, to 20 foot seas with 5 foot of wind chop at about 6 second intervals in a 50 foot trawler. Been there, done that! But thats not what we are talking about are we?

Water is water, wind is wind, weather is weather! Knowing your boats capabilities and your capabilities is half the battle. Experience, knowing your boat and maintaining it to perform well is more of a determining factor on where you boat or choose not to boat in IMO. Like I stated before, and as you should already know, pontoons take waves very well, and tri-toons offer even better support and ridability. In some rough conditions, they will ride better than half the boats of the same size.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a tritoon out 8 miles offshore anywhere as long as I knew the area I was fishing and running the boat. Also would have all the proper safety equipment for if sh!t did hit the fan.
That being said, I wouldn't venture out 8 miles in 6 to 8 foot seas in a pontoon boat and on calm days would be watching the weather and bouy info. . I also would never personally own a pontoon boat because they don't suit my purposes,wants or needs when it comes to the way I boat.

Anyone who thinks that just because my signature says Louisville means I only boat inland, is sadly mistaken and a little short sighted imo. Also a little short sighted to think my boat style in my threads are the only type of boats available to me or at my disposal. To give you an idea, there are 10 different boats in my family. Were water people and always will be.

So OP, my apologies if this got a little of coarse. I just think some people have no clue on how to handle there boat or the waters they boat in. Good day and happy fishing on those Walleye.