Question for the experts

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I figured I tackle rebuilding a mid 90's 55 yamaha that I've had laying around. I to the point of re-assembling everything. Bored both .20 over and matched pistons to go with the bore. Question I have is about reassembly of the case. There was no gasket and none noted on all diagrams that i've looked at. Does a person use rtv, assembly lube, or just go back together bare?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question for the experts

Gasket Maker is specified in the service manual.

How/why can you be rebuilding a motor without one?

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a manual but it's vague of what specific type to use. I guess I should be more specific with my question. Can I use loctite or permatex gel sealant. It's an old manual. After the crank is back together, the rest I'm comfortable with. Just never have had the block split on an outboard.

I have a manual but it's vague of what specific type to use. I guess I should be more specific with my question. Can I use loctite or permatex gel sealant. It's an old manual. After the crank is back together, the rest I'm comfortable with. Just never have had the block split on an outboard.

Yamaha makes a greyish sealer designed to be used for gasketless applications, IE, engine block cases, balancers, etc. If your marina doesn't have it, the local Yamaha motorcycle shop should.