Question for Ignitions Experts

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I searched and searched but could not find the post that has this info.<br />Don S., you posted in reference to a boat that had the GM HEI automotive ignition distributor. You stated that it was not marine rated or CG approved and was dangerous.<br />I'm not disputing, but am wondering why? That is the simplest electronic ignition out there and readily available.<br />I'm a car guy and understand the fuel vapor problem w/inboards, but with good airflow, wouldn't this be acceptable?<br />Please don't take this as an afront to the knowledge of anyone here. I'm just trying to learn and get the most out of my restoration.<br />I have a 1986 bayliner 20' cuddy, 350 V/P 270.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question for Ignitions Experts

The older distributors were vented with a small spark arrestor in the vent, as per USCG Regs.<br />This wasn't on the same distributors used in an auto application. All the engine accessories used in a marine application have subtle changes, the fuel pump's leaky diaphragm hose to the carb, a sparking shield in the gen/alt. Keep your life simple, stick with approved parts. You won't be opening a can of worms you'll never close. Aircraft owner's are always asking, "Why can't I use this part from Auto Zone, it's exactly the same?" Because, it's not approved!

DHPMARINE

Captain

The problem would be determining the 'spark' danger of the HEI unit and the amount of 'good' air flow needed.The minute you modify,you become the manufacturer.Now you are responsible for any harm caused by your modification.<br /><br />DHP

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm a car guy and understand the fuel vapor problem w/inboards, but with good airflow, wouldn't this be acceptable?<br />
Boats, at best, have poor airflow, intake and outflow vents are usually at a minimum. Don't forget a car has no "bottom" under the engine, and a fan blowing air back over the engine which helps cooling and air flow. Gas leaks hit the ground. Nothing a boat ever sees.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you are actually a car Guy you will realize the Delco EST system is even simpler and more trouble free than the HEI system, rotors dont burn through and no advace weights to rust. and best of all it was acually marinized.