question for HUMINSKI

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
i am swapping a 2004 vortec 3liter,with hei ignition for a 1989 omc 3 liter with points ignition. i have decided to stay with the points system. if you went that way what specs did you use to time the engine. if you switched to hei could you post any info or tips you may have. i have the diagram for the diode and resistor setup for the shift interruptor. i also had to get a new coupler and am waiting for it to be delivered as i write. fbyrnes@suffolk.lib.ny.us

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: question for HUMINSKI

I used the points. If you can get the HEI to work and it's a marine system, by all means go with that. I guess by the fact that you're opting for the points there's an issue with the HEI... Wanna sell it to me?? Haha...<br /><br />Anyway, I set my timing to 4 degrees BTDC at 600Rpm, and the dwell is about 40 degrees, or a point gap of .019. Runs like a top!<br /><br />The points were stock in my setup originally, so the ESA was already set up for them. Can't really help you out there. <br /><br />You're basically doing what I did but in reverse. I went from 1988 to 2002, you're going from 2004 to 1989. <br /><br />I have my original stock coupler, I'll give it to you for free, you just pay shipping. Let me know if you want it. <br /><br />Hope this helps!!!!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

...also...<br /><br />the 4 degrees is for 89 octane fuel. The manual states that you can opt to run 87 octane fuel, but if so you must set the timing for 1 degree BTDC. You'll lose a little power but save some cash at the pump. If you'll be filling at the gas docks just go with 4 degrees, most on-the-water pumps around here anyway only offer 89 or higher so it would be a waste of time to set for 87.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

steve, thanks for the info, i reread my original post and realize i have it backwards, the vortec is going in the boat. this engine came with an hei distributer and coil, but no wiring harness or instructions, i have not been able to find any info on how to wire this up to existing boat wiring. if you are interested in this hei system e mail me with an offer. thanks again,frank

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't know that there was a "Vortec" 3.0. And yeah, replacing an 89 with an 04 makes much more sense to me than replacing an 04 with an 89! I'm emailing you now...<br /><br />Thanks.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

steve i forgot to mention , this is a brand new crate engine

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Frank,<br /><br />I found this post on sterndrive.com about the HEI. He's talking about a 5.7 V8 but it can't be much different for the 3.0. At least maybe it'll get you in the right direction. If you can get that HEI working by all means use it instead of the points. <br /><br />Do a google search for OMC HEI, look around, you might be able to find more info. I found this page rather quickly tonight just doing a quick search.... there's gotta be more out there. <br /><br />Hope this helps!!!