Question for Dhadley - Part 2

fishcakes

Cadet
Dhadley' I have been having issues with my 1985 J140 similar to the one HOSS has been experiancing. I am beginninng to suspect a sticking timer base. My question is, how does one fix this issue. Is there a way to make the timer base move more freely or are we looking at a replacement.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question for Dhadley - Part 2

When you move the throttle arm does the timer base move freely? You dont need the motor running -- just watch the timer, it should move freely to the stop and then back.

fishcakes

Cadet

Dhadley, It does move freely. My thought is that it may not be returning all the way to the idle position. There for not firing the sparkplugs at the correct time at idle. I do have spark on all plugs and I recently (with in the past month) did a link and sync exactly per the shop manules instructions.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Tell us exactly what it is or isnt doing. Lets see if we can figure it out.

fishcakes

Cadet

OK! I'll try not to make this too long. Engine is a 1985 J140TXCO. Thats a looper, right?. Basically, very rough Idle. Very smooth from about 2500 RPM all the way up to WOT at 5800 RPM. I have a 4 blade ss prop and am very happy with the way the engine preforms at high RPM's. I have done the following repairs within the last 6 weeks in an attempt to solve this issue. Fresh gas, 87 octane. All fuel lines replaces with new 3/8 ID line and I removed a T fitting that was feeding a kicker. SS hose clamps everywhere. Cleaned all 4 carbs with sierra kits. Removed and reinstalled with new gaskets intake manifold, carb assemblys gaskets and reed block gaskets. Did not replace reeds as they appeared to be in good condition. Link and Sync per the step by step instructions in shop manual. I have sprayed wd-40 while running around the carb and intake manifold to check for air leak but this did not turn up anything. Othewise I have basically replaced the entire ignition system, fuel pume and all most everything else on this engine within the last 4 years since I bought the boat in 2001. I'll add that the engine has never had a real smooth idle since I have owned the boat. The problem has gotten somewhat worse in the last 6 months. Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd lose the ss clamps. They can, with the help of vibration, cut the hose. Be careful not to overtighten and break a plastic fitting. <br /><br />Compression? <br /><br />Decarb?<br /><br />What spark plugs?<br /><br />Did you soak the carbs? In what?<br /><br />Lets start there.

fishcakes

Cadet

Compression was good and even across all 4 cylinders. I dont remember how much but I remenber it was OK. 120 I think. Last decarb was in mid 2003. Plugs are champion QL77JC4 with about 20 hours of service on them. I did not soak the carbs as this was not called for in the manual. What do you think?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the compression is good and there is good spark and we're trying to cure a bad idle I'd start with a carb overhaul. That includes soaking the carbs in a cleaning solution like Engine Tuner. <br /><br />Once thats done I'd do a decarb regardless of how much better the motor runs.

fishcakes

Cadet

Will I need new gaskets when I soak the carbs? These were all replaced 2 weeks ago. Can you give me more info on the product you recommended for soaking? Is that something I can find at an auto parts store? Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would install new kits. I prefer OE kits. Engine Tuner is sold at any Johnson / Evinrude dealer.

fishcakes

Cadet

Dhadley, would you reccomend removing the floats before soaking the carbs. Also, any thoughts on Sea Foam as a cleaning/decarb agent. Thanks for your input.

phatmanmike

Captain

completely dissasemble the carbs, and remove everything from them before soaking.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by fishcakes:<br /> .... Can you give me more info on the product you recommended for soaking? Is that something I can find at an auto parts store? Thanks.
Auto stores carry stuff called carburetor and parts cleaner. Comes in a gallon can with a dipping basket included. Nasty solvent stuff.<br /><br />Your shop manual should have a step by step for disassembling and overhauling carbs. I haven't done a lot, but the ones I have done - basically you disassemble it completely, including all jets, float, etc.etc.

fishcakes

Cadet

Dhadley, I am cleaning and soaking the carbs as recommended. I will be doing a decarb when I get them back on. Will keep you posted as to weather this solves the issue or not. Thanks for all the advice so far. Hopefully this will do the trick.

fishcakes

Cadet

OK, heres the latest. Carbs were soaked overnight in sea foam, cleaned and reassembeled. Completed decarb procedues with sea foam as indicated on this web site. After this procedure I have found the idle to be much improved. However, I wouldn't say it is purring. More like chugging. Heres the interesting thing. While running the decarb I disconected the main fuel tank and bypassed the VRO and ran premix. This seemd to provide additional improvment in the idle. Since I have replaced all fuel lines I am begining to suspect the VRO as the cause of the rough idle. To much oil at low speed? Any thoughts anyone?

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't know that sea foam made a carb cleaner. You learn something knew everday, I used CHEM-DIP as Dhadley said, it is nasty stuff, but I would have ate an egg off my carbs after soaking them is this.

fishcakes

Cadet

Hey Hoss, seems like we are both making some headway on our similar problems. Sea Foam is not advertised as a carb cleaner. Rather, it is advertised as a fuel system cleaner. It is clearly some good stuff. I couldnt believe the amount of carbon that came out of my engine and I have used the OMC tuner before. I guess I'm going to try installing new oil lines from the VRO tank. I'm beging to suspect that I must have a small air leak somewhere in that system. I have decided to forgo the Boyesen reeds. To expensive. Good luck with your continued search for the perfect idle.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got my perfect idle. Dhadley informed me that any John/Evin dealer should be able to get them for about $9.50. Best of luck to ya.