Question for Dhadley about water control valve

TexasHawkeye

Cadet
My motor is a 200 HP “XP” Evinrude motor, Model No. E200STLESE, S/N G02519201, received new on 10/21/89.<br /><br />Is there anyway to adjust the water control valve (P/N 394407) on this motor? The OMC Service manual, P/N 507875, page 4-28, indicates this valve should dump the water from the thermostat diaphragms to the overboard drain at 2000 RPM. On my motor, this occurs closer to 3000 RPM. <br /><br />I am using the new thermostats, P/N 434137, vs. the original designed thermostats, P/N 394409. <br /><br />Is there anyway this valve can be by-passed?<br />Any experience you can share on the water control valve would be appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br /><br />TexasHawkeye

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question for Dhadley about water control valve

What you have should work fine. Is it giving you any problems like an overheat?

TexasHawkeye

Cadet

I have a temperature gauge that has no calibration (only blue, green, and red zone) and the temperature sensor (which just touches the head)is mounted about 10 o’clock on the bottom starboard cylinder head. In the motor’s early life, the temperature would drop from high green to mid green when the water control valve dumped and opened the thermostats. Over the last couple of years, there is only a small drop or no drop in temperature even after installing a new water pump and new thermostats. I have had no overheat alarm. It just worries me that I may not be getting enough cooling below 3000 RPM. One site vistor said you might have a by-pass method with new stat covers, and new stats with springs. Are these new parts offered by Evinrude? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />TexasHawkeye

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I dont think you have any problems. Thats typical with the gauge. Over the years there may be a corrosion build up in the cooling system and while it may not affect the cooling it may affect the gauge. Anytime we see this we check it with a thermal gun just to be sure. I would suggest testing the temp circuit to make sure its working OK. If it is I'd bet youre OK.<br /><br />Yes you can eliminate the water control valve. You'll need the t-stat covers, springs and gasket from a 1993 & up V4 looper. Your t-stat assy will be fine. Then you can eliminate the valve and all those hoses. Youll have to plug the adaptor housing also.

clanton

Rear Admiral

After you verify the engine temp is correct, insert an adjustable 1 ohm resistor ( from radio shack) into the gauge sensor wire. Bring the engine up to temp, then you move the gauge needle anywhere that you like by adjusting the resistor. An approved OMC fix.

TexasHawkeye

Cadet

Thanks guys -- your experience is very helpful.<br />TexasHawkey