question for alcan

a.weeks

Cadet
i am looking for service manual for 1988 2 ltr omc sea drive 110 hp is there such a book precisely for 88 2ltr

alcan

Commander
Re: question for alcan

Hi Aweeks<br /> There is a service manual available. Weather it will be model specific or not I don't know. I sort of doubt it. I don't have a set of manuals OEM repair manuals for 1988, how ever I do have them for 1987. In 1987 OMC grouped motors as to size and/or type, such as loop V, cross V, 60hp-70hp,etc. I much prefer this type manual because they save space and time. I do have parts manuals for 1988. I also use after market manuals a lot. I use them out in the shop or when I need to go mobile. This way if I drop the book overboard or get oil on it, it's no big deal I just buy a new one. OEM publications are nice, no doubt, but they are not a magic wrench and they are not really necessary 99.9% of the time. Back when I had only one manual it was an after market brand that covered many models and years. I still feel this is the best bang for the buck for the average outboard owner/hobbiest/mechanic. All the manuals that I have seen are wonderful. They all give the same basic info. Some may have better pictures than others here or there. The thing is you have to use the book properly, just as with any tool. My son tries to repair his car with the book in one hand and a wrench in the other. He never sits down and studies the book and lines out the job he is tring to preform. He becomes lost frustrated fast. I always suggest that a person take some quite time (I use the john) and read the manual to become familiar with the book. Figure out which sections pertain to your motor and the job to be done. Then take the book and go study the motor, identify the systems of the motor, get familiar with the motor. Next a little more quite time to plan the job, figure out what tools you will need and what tests you will need to perform. After this you should either be ready for a wrench or to hire someone else. Hey there is no shame in hireing out, I do it a lot, espeicaly when I'am in a hurry. I have a day job, so that only gives me nights and week ends. If I need to fish on the week ends, that doesn't leave much time for repairs. The Pro's down at the shop have all week. The nice thing about having this board is that if you get stuck mis-read or don't understand the book someone here will try and help explain. Good luck.