Question for a good Chrysler guy

drewpster

Commander
I am in the process of restoring my old boat. (2 years so far)
The engine in the boat has an original ID tag on the bellhousing marking M273. Does anyone here know what and where the casting numbers are so that I can positively identify this Chrysler Marine V8? I find hard to believe that no one has repowered this boat with the far less rare M318. I am by no means a Chrysler engine guy so any help would be great.
The engine runs great, but I am pulling it to repaint and do some improving. (ignition, carb maybe get a Holley instead of using the Edelbrock on it ect)
My dilemma is this, If I decide to re-ring or do some internal work I am having no luck finding parts listed specifically for M273. I can find tons of stuff for M318, but no 273. I know the 273 and 318 are very similar, can 318 internal parts be used in 273?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question for a good Chrysler guy

The 273 was the original block or the same block as the 318, or was an under-bored 318. As far as I know, the stroke was the same as the 318, 340, 360 which were all overbores of the same block with different heads. Almost everything internal from a 318 should fit it. The only 273 I have had experience with was in the early Barracuda. It had solid lifters and of course a different cam to go with them. I think it only had a 2 barrel but I could be wrong. 35-40 years is a long time to remember with clarity. I remember it as being a hot little engine (because of the cam and lifters) versus the 318 which was a Chrysler staple (both in autos and boats) but not very robust in the power department. Reliable as hell though.

The guys to really ask are the guys over at The Chrysler Crew. They have a bunch of I/Os with V8 power. Dave "Hurrikain" Kain would be one of them. You can join Chrysler Crew and post the question on the technical bulletin board OR you can join the chat room Thursday at 9PM EST time. Dave is almost always in the chat room.

drewpster

Commander

I have seen the Chrysler website you mentioned. To be honest I thought they were more about Chrysler outboards. I will drop them a note. Thanks much.
I was considering selling the m273 and repowering with a modern V8, but it runs so well I guess I need not worry about it. But you never know what you are going to find when the valve covers come off! Hmmm.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

My opinion is that I would not consider selling the 273. If you are doing a quality restoration, the boat is probably worth more with original equipment than with a replacement 318.

Yes, you may have difficulty finding parts because back in the late 60s and early 70s everyone wanted cubic inches. But with a little persistence and ingenuity--Like the Stones said: "you can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you may just get what you need."

The major difference in marine engines would be explosion proof alternators and distributors. Sometimes they had special cranks for greater strength under the harsh duty cycles they were expected to endure. However, I don't think special rings were used. Same thing with manifolds and carbs, although carbs had flame arrestors on them.

At any rate, Contact your local Chrysler dealer and in the parts dept look up the early Barracudas--before 72, more like 69 or so. After 70 or so they all probably came with a slant 6, 318, 340, and maybe a one off 413. (that would be worth a million) Also, see if you have a local Mopar car club--look 'em up on the internet. So, between Dave and Franz at the Chrysler Crew, and car clubs and dealers, I'm sure you can find what you need. If you have an old guard person in the local speed shop, they may be able to help you too. And, the ring companies (like perfect Circle) may have NOS that you could buy. Similarly, Wiseco may be able to help with pistons if you need them.