Question: Camper enclosure (full enclosure)

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
Do people have the full enclosure on while they are driving the pontoon boat ?
In early Spring or Fall, I would like to have the full enclosure set up so that it is more comfortable inside while I am driving the pontoon boat.
That's my plan.
Please advise, thanks !

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question: Camper enclosure (full enclosure)

Yes, Most are setup to allow full visibility while driving.

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice

Good ! That's what I thought: Allow full visibility while driving
The last thing I want to hear is "you can't have it set up while you are driving"

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Just remember that wind has a huge impact on them so if you plan to spend the night on the water be sure to double check your anchor. I also set my depth alarm based on the depth or where I am anchored. So if I drift at night the alarm will go off. (If I am anchored in 30' I set the alarm to go off at 20')

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
Could you tell me more about the drift alarm ? Where to buy it ? How to use it ?
How to anchor the boat safely ?
I am planning to camp with the family for 1 night (just a trial for 1 night), where do people take the shower, brush their teeth ... ?
I will have a portable toilet on board though because the one I am buying has a pop up changing room.
Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We used to wash in the river. used a glass of water to brush teeth.Sometimes used baking soda instead of toothpaste,a little neater.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

It is not a drift alarm. I simply use my depth gauge. It isn't much good if I drift into deeper water but the alarms goes off if the depth drops below the depth I set.

You need 7 to 10 times your depth of anchor rope. so if you are in 10' of water you want at least 70' of anchor line out. As far and the type of anchor. That depends on the bottom of the lake/river. I personally use a Ritcher Anchore on my 25' Pontoon.

G-P-618B_lg.jpg

Also make sure you have 2 batteries on board in case you kill one overnight. Your anchorlight must remain on all night. (They don't use much power though)

We keep fresh water for brushing our teeth but showers we don't worry about. Most camp grounds have showers so if you are in need beach near one.

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
Please tell me more about your camping experience such as what to bring, what equipment to bring, what to turn on all night, what not to do, where to park the pontoon (do people park at the government dock ?), what to avoid ...
We have camping experience in campground but never have any camping experience in the lake.
Thanks !

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

The only thing you have to turn on is the anchor light (White stern light) While running at night you have to use nav lights which are the red and green bow lights and the stern light. Your switch will have a anchor position.

Other than that find a calm cove to anchor in. Stay out of the main areas of the lake becasue of drunk speedboaters running full speed at night.

If you have never been on the lake at night be warned it gets real dark and navigating at night can be scary to say the least. Because of this I would advise on getting a GPS and a very good spotlight in the event an emergency comes up and you have to get to a dock or ramp during the night. Some people prefer to beach for the night and tie off to a tree so there is no danger of the anchor coming loose overnight, The last time I did this ants decided to board my boat via the rope and I had them everywhere.

Camping supplies are pretty universal. If you don't have a dual battery setup then bring an extra battery just to be safe. If camping is something you plan to do alot invest in dual batteries then at night switch to only one battery so your second one stays charged for the morning departure. VHF/weather radio is also a good idea in case a storm blows in.

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice

I just want to try to experience camping & sleeping on the boat.

In order to avoid all those scary experience the first time such as ...(1) too dark at night & hard to navigate back to shore in case of emergency (2) avoid those crazy boat speeders at night (3) boat drifts away ... I wonder if people park at government dock or do more boat campers choose to beach (how do they beach ? Sleep on the beach ? Sleep on the boat ?)

I will check the weather before I go boat camping the first time and will avoid if there is storm in the forecast.

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice

One more question: How come the anchor does not look like the "normal" anchor in shape ? How many pound is it ?

Also, how often do people recharge the battery ? Once a month ? One every 2 months ? Depending on how much they use it ? Any ballpark figure ?

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Different anchors are better for different bottom conditions. For my pontoon this works great. I use a 25lb but the 18lb is fine for boats up to 25'.

Our lake has a lot of mud on the bottom and conventional anchors could not get a bite, even when they set into the mud the boat would still move very slowly. This one has the weight to get those bars into the mud. It also works very well in sand and releases out of debri easily.

My first time camping on a boat was tied off at a campsite. Still had access to the showers, grill ect... But did not have to sleep on the ground.

With dual batteries they charge while you are running. Just flip the swith to all and both batteries charge. If you are only asking about the spare I would keep in on the boat and hook up a solar maintainer to it when you are not using the boat.

Bigbobcat

Seaman Apprentice

How do you access to the showers, grill at a campsite ? Is it a private campsite ? Did you pay a fee to tie off your boat & get access to showers & grill etc ?

Do you know if marinas or resorts take pontoons in for a night and charge a fee for access the washroom, shower or grill etc ?

What do you need to buy to set up a dual batteries ?