Question about the NADA Price Guides

I am looking at purchasing a used 17' outboard powered bowrider runabout and was looking at the NADA guides to get an idea of what the "book" value of that boat was. It was unclear to me, however, if the prices quoted in the NADA guides were for the boat with or without an engine. I'm also curious to know if those prices also assume a trailer comes with the boat.

They do quote "book" values for outboards in the guide so I'm wondering if I'm supposed to add the price of the outboard to the price of the boat to come up with it's actual value or if the quoted "book" price for the boat assumes that whatever size of outboard that was commonly sold with that boat is on it.

Thanks in advance.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Question about the NADA Price Guides

the price is for the hull... the outboard and trailer are extra....... that said.... book values are ONLY good for comparing various boats to each other for starting points but do not reflect the real value of the boats

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

on any boat more than 5 years old, the NADA, like the gas guage, tells you very little reliable information. Your used boat market as reflected in classifieds tell you better.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sometimes it depends on the brand. My Procraft is listed on NADA with the outboard (but only the base 150 hp version), no trailer. Usually there will be some asteriks next to the names that will lead you to footnotes saying what is in and what is out.

As Home Cookin pointed out though, it's just a guide, and a rough one at that. Better to watch the local sales to get an idea of area/season/boat type/etc effects on boat pricing. Also, notice, I said sales, not ads. If you go by ads, the values will likely be skewed upward.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your best guide is Craig's List, your local classified ads, Boat Trader magazine, and your local boat dealers. Determine what you want, then research that boat ONLY -- discard the highest and lowest prices you can find and the "average" will be in between those numbers. Average meaning average condition. Obviously exceptional condition can draw a higher price than the same boat that has beat to death.