Question about the Chesapeake Bay

aspeck

Staff member
Had the opportunity to spend last weekend on the headwaters of the Chesapeake. First time I ever saw the bay so muddy - milk chocoalte brown. I am not a regular at the Chesapeake, so I am wondering if it gets this way often?<br /><br />Wind was blowing pretty hard and the water was unbelievably choppy, swells weren't big, but they were coming FAST. Was it just turnover from the hard wind? What was up? Just curious.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Question about the Chesapeake Bay

i'm located in what they consider the upper bay, but i'm still some distance from where you probably were. the headwaters of the bay have suffered recently from the large amounts of rain around here and to the north. all the tributaries that feed the bay have received a ton of run-off, brings mud and debris into the bay. just a natural thing that's made worse from all the populations along the coastlines. after heavy rains, it usually takes about a week to clear up.<br /><br />down here, only the rivers get muddy when the rains come. they clear up in about the same time. the actual bay stays relatively clear. the rivers around here have actually been very clear this year due to some native mussels growing large populations for some reason. has the scientists baffled, but the little buggers have done a great job and we all hope they stick around.<br /><br />when the wind blows, the bay does get going. it can get real messy quick. the good news is that in the fall, it seems to be some of the calmest days on the bay. nice time to be out, which i why my boat isn't close to coming out of the water.