Question about Steering with 150 Black Max

jlyalls

Cadet
Hey Guys I took off my old steering cables today in my cajun maverick and it has a dual rack and pinion system. I noticed that one of the cables said 11.5' and the other (one that goes back the farthest) was about a foot 1/2 or 2 longer the numbers may have had a 13. My question is do I need to order two 12 foot cables or do I need to get one cable that is longer then the other. Thanks

M

Maxz695

Re: Question about Steering with 150 Black Max

Just an opinion that if the cables enter the helm at the same exact place and the cables enter through the bracket on the engine at the same place and the reach of the cable to the connector is the same, I would think that 2 12 foot cables should work as one is now 11.5 and fits correctly. I may be wrong but this would just make sense to me. It,s possible that someone had changed one of the cables and couldn,t find the original size. Please take others suggestions before considering this to be any kind of fact though. scincerely Maxz695

jlyalls

Cadet

OK thanks, I believe you are correct. I should be fine if I order two 12' sections. I have another question...if I order a teleflex system for the rack and pinion it should fit into the slots on the engine right? Also I still have the racks for the old cables. They seem to be in fine shape so should I just reuse them? Thanks!

M

Maxz695

I can,t say weather or not all cables are universal. I believe there are bigger cables for bigger engines. I would look up teleflex.com and inuire about the cables for your engine before purchasing it. I when I bought my boat had a dual helm on it and it came with the dual connector at the engine but no bracket for the engine and so I removed one of the cables from the helm. (Was a bad gear in the helm), and used one cable through the tilt tube and connected straight to the steering linkage. I wouldn,t suggest this on a 150 though. Both cables will give you a much better and sturdier steering capability.