Question about steering connection after aftermarket tilt is installed

kbergman10

Cadet
I just purchased a 1968 Evinrude 55 hp motor that was put on a 1973 17' Yarcraft tri-hull. The motor came with an atlus aftermarket tilt and trim unit that causes it to stick out farther than normal. The boat's steering consists of a metal rod that comes out of the right hand side with a single flexible bolt. The engine is actually the perfect fit for the steering as there is a threaded nut as part of the motor, but when they are put together the steering shaft is pulled away from the boat at a bad angle due to the aftermarket tilt. Does anyone have experience with this situation to tell me if this is an acceptable angle to have the steering on? I made a bracket out of two pieces of steel to straighten the steering back to normal but I am concerned over the safety of the extension at high speeds since they are only bolted together. If anyone has found a solution I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about steering connection after aftermarket tilt is installed

The ideal and safest solution is a longer steering cable of the proper length. Outside of that, you might post a couple of pics so that we can see how it's set-up now. Hard to tell from the description if it's gonna be alright or not...

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

I would also like to see a pic, but generally speaking the outer case is very still but the inner cable is quite flexible, if the outer case can be routed than the inner cable will move through it without a problem.

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same "problem" when I installed ad CMC Tilt and Trim on my boat, I solved it by replacing the steering cable with one 2 feet longer. As it exits the transom, loop it up and back to the motor and it will fit and not bind.