Question about RIB boats - salter and aquamarine boat

ericlin0122

Cadet

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question about RIB boats - salter and aquamarine boat

RIB = Rigid inflatable boat
SIB = soft inflatable boat

The RIB costs more, has a rigid hull (fiberglass or aluminum), needs to be trailered, but typically handles better.
The SIB costs less, is much more portable and is lighter (can transport deflated in your trunk) and has a fabric hull with either an inflatable keel or a solid (wood) keel.

Inflatable boats will handle rough water better than boats that are bigger.

Both boats you are looking at in you original post are sibs. (fabric hull with inflatable keels).

BTW, there are advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, it just depends on what your needs are.
Have fun boating!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If being slight more pricey is not an issue, go for the size you were thinking about and buy a rib if it's trasportable with your vehicle without a trailer. A 270 rib will glide better and easier to plane than a 270 sib if using max HP rated engine for both.

Happy Boating

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good input so far....FWIW, I've had both Sib and Rib boats over the years. A SIB with a hard floor (plywood or aluminum) and inflatable keel can be a blast to own and operate, when powered as designed. A sib with an inflatable floor, OTOH, always seemed to disappoint us, as the soft squishy floor just feels so vulnerable, especially when loaded with hard gear (tanks, umbrellas, etc). It also feels less steady for the occupants while standing. SIBs can be stored in a smaller space, tho, and assembled at the shore. A RIB often offers some strong advantages tho. For me, the ride quality in mild chop is better than that of a SIB, as the rigid hull has a better "V" entry to slice thru the chop.Also, RIBs can often handle more power than an equally sized SIB. Both types can be very satisfying to own, depending on your storage, towing, weather conditions (wind, chop, etc) , and budget considerations. Good luck.
Larry

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good input so far....FWIW, I've had both Sib and Rib boats over the years. .....Also, RIBs can often handle more power than an equally sized SIB. Both types can be very satisfying to own, depending on your storage, towing, weather conditions (wind, chop, etc) , and budget considerations. Good luck.
Larry

An exception is the bombard C3, C4, and C5. They have high horsepower ratings and the wood keel, while not quite a rib is definitely better than the inflatable keels!

ericlin0122

Cadet

Hi all,
Thanks for all the input. I now understand what's the main difference between those two.
I don't have a trailer, I am only looking a inflatable to drift river and small lake, and I think I will go with SIB.
Anyone has experience with aquamarine or seamax boats? They are located in Vancouver. I know seamax uses korean PVC, but I have no idea what PVC they use in aquamarine.
Can anyone share any thought?

Thanks,
Eric

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know any thing about those two manufacturers, but don't dismiss the thought of checking out craigslist for a used zodiac, achilles, etc.. Sometimes you can find some great deals on a used inflatable boat this time of year.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

An exception is the bombard C3, C4, and C5. They have high horsepower ratings and the wood keel, while not quite a rib is definitely better than the inflatable keels!
Jacob, I hadn't been familiar with the Bombard with wood keel. That keel idea is very interesting. I see it referenced on spec sheets, but no pictures. Is the wood encased in it's own chamber? Is it exposed? Just curious at this point.
Larry

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Likalar, the C3, C4 and C5 have a three piece wood keel that assembles between the hull fabric and the aluminum floor boards. It gives a constant, hard keel without any worries about losing air, and it doesn't give with wave impact. The only thing I'd like better than my C3 would be a C5!

(sorry about the thread hijack)