Question about Reed Block/Carbs

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice
I have gas still coming out of my lower port carb on a Merc V-150 (1982). The gas is coming up from the bowls and spilling into the carb. So here's the question: if the reed block or reed valves are faulty, then what is the affect on my engine and carbs? Why is gas spilling out of my carb bowl and up into the carb? ...I have brand new floats, needles and seats in that carb.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Question about Reed Block/Carbs

You need to recheck your work and the float level on that carb. A reed acts as a intake valve at startup and idle once the RPM get to about 1100 RPM the reeds are wide open and the engine will run fine

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

the reeds open and close at all rpms the allow fuel /oil into crankcase and close when the pistons pressurize the crankcase to force fuel into the cylnders and when the pistons compress the fuel mix in the cylnders the draw fresh fuel into the crankcase and start the cycle over again.reeds will not cause fuel to be forced from carb bowels that is a float and needle valve issue

j_martin

Admiral

Whenever you disassemble this carb, you need to use new gaskets. The bowl gasket is critical. So is even and correct torque sequence on the bowl as you put it on. Also, if you missed or messed up the gasket under the seat, it'll run out like that.

hope it helps
John