Question about pulling the Flywheel and tools on a 75 HP, ELPT , 97 Force Motor.

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a question about my 1997 Force, 75 HP, ELPT, SN# OE250062 which will now not start. I am concerned that the timing has jumped via the key slipping on the crank and the flywheel. The boat will not fire and the last time it did, two weeks ago, it broke off the starter. This has now happened twice in four years. I have owned the motor for 9 years and have wore out several starters. I am afraid damage has been done to the crank end.

I have been speaking via telephone with a friend ( 12 hours away) that is a Outboard mechanic and he tells me that it is not uncommon to have the key slip or break on these Force Motors. He is recommending that I pull the Fly Wheel to inspect the Crank End and Fly Wheel Key Way. I replaced the starter and now the motor will not fire. I also changed the fuel line and thought that was my problem. I will also check this weekend to see if the motor is firing. It does not seem to be firing.

QUESTION:

When I look at my FORCE MANUAL it states that I need the special tool to remove the flywheel. It looks like a socket that goes on top of the Fly wheel and it is a puller via bolt that protects the Crank. I know that I need that tool, but the manual also states that I need to use a FLY WHEEL HOLDER. Is this indeed the case? Do I need to get this tool or can I use something else? I was thinking about a strap wrench.

I am afraid the crank is damaged and I do not want to put a lot of money into this motor and boat. However, my friend my be totally off base, but I wanted to get your input.

Thanks,

Donald

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about pulling the Flywheel and tools on a 75 HP, ELPT , 97 Force Motor.

Picture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpg

First a no spark probably could be something different.
It could spark even if the key has sheared.
http://www. cdielectronics. com/ downloads/ troubleshooting Remove the spaces.
Try testing the stator/trigger/packs.
Removing the flywheel is easy with the right tools.
A BIG 3 jaw puller and a big hammer
.Loosen the nut(don't remove) install the puller and tighten,then tighten some more.
You have an impact wrench??
Well tighten it down.Then hit the bolt with a big hammer.It should pop off.If not then tighten some more.
Then hit again.

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Question about pulling the Flywheel and tools on a 75 HP, ELPT , 97 Force Motor.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have an impact wrench. Do you mean I should use the impact on the Fly Wheel Nut? Do I use a wrench on the large gear puller? Will this not damage the crank? The picture helps alot. Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks,

Donald

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Impact to loosen the nut.
Impact to tighten the screw on the puller.
Shouldn't damage the crank.

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jerry,

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Roscoe,

Thanks, you have helped me alot in the past. I really appreciate it. That looks like the tool that is called out in the Service Manual. They also speak about a Fly wheel Holder. Is that really needed too?

Thanks again,

Donald

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

A "special" flywheel holding tool is not necessary. I just take a big screw driver or a pry bar and stick it into the teeth of the fly wheel and turn the flywheel around until it catches on the block so the flywheel will not longer turn. A little cumbersome, but it works. You get the general idea.

wickware

Lieutenant

Will this bar aluminum holder idea attached work?

Attachments

• Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Holder.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Holder.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It may, watch your knuckles and fingers.
wear gloves

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of the help. I believe I am now good to go. It may be about two weeks before I can jump on this project. I will report my results.

Thanks,

Donald

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Oh yea. Like Roscoe says.Wear gloves and SAFETY glasses.
I lost partial site in one eye and didn't realize what I'm missing.
So safety glasses for me.
I did nothing, a blood vessel ruptured in the back of my eye.J

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello,

Update, I purchased the puller that Roscoe recommend mercury puller off e-bay for $35.00. It worked like a champ. It screwed into the center hub and I used a impact wrench to drive the grade 8 bolt into the puller. It popped right off. I was unable to locate a Gear Puller that was large enough to go around the 10" Flywheel. I was also concerned that I would un press fit the flywheel teeth. I may have to use this old one until I locate a replacement wheel.

Good news is the key had not jumped and the key and keyway was fine. Bad news is I am getting no spark on any of the three plugs. I am now reading how to test the electronic components to trouble shoot and replace. Looks like I may need a TEST HARNESS and a MULTI METER that works with check DVA ( Discharge Voltage) for Outboard Motors. I am hoping my multimeter will determine which parts are bad. I am reading old post to try to see if it can be done.

THanks,

Donald