question about launching with an old outboard.

AcousticTX

Cadet
Hi all, my "new" 79' boat requires that the motor be manualy raised and lowered. The motor is a '78 70hp johnson. Last night I found the lever that releases the locks and was able to lower it but I lowered it while holding the motor in fear that it might just fall into the lowest posistion. When I go to launch, is this something that will need to be done pre-launch or after the boat is in the water?<br /><br />Forgive my lack of lingo, still trying to learn the names of everything.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: question about launching with an old outboard.

wait until you are in the water safely. the angle<br />at the ramp is most likely too steep and your motor <br />will hit bottom and cause damage.<br />my 115hp merc weighs 300lbs and it's manual<br />lift. took a while to find the best place to<br />grab it from a leverage standpoint.<br />be safe, launch when it's not too crowded at first.<br />do as much as you can before you launch so you<br />are not holding up the line more than necc.<br />you'll be a pro in no time!<br />good luck and enjoy! :D <br />M.Y.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with Mellow on this. Definitely motor up every time. There are kits to put an electric trim on your boat if it is worth it or the motor is hard to pull back up before taking out. There is an adjustment on the motor to increase and decrease the amount of tension for raising and lowering the motor. This should be adjusted so your motor does not fall down and yet is easy to pull up. It should be a pivot bolt. You can adjust this while the boat is on the trailer, but to get the real feel, you need to be in the boat trying the adjustment in "real" conditions

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There are also "lifting levers" available on the market to give you the mechanical advantage to deal with the weight of an outboard. These levers are simple to hook and unhook and also improve your balance point.<br /><br />Bob

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Dang Mellow, you need T&T bad!!!<br />#300 up and down repeatedly, you must look like Hulk Hogan :D

surftrish

Seaman Apprentice

My motor is also manual lift and it's almost impossible for me to get it down (or up) in the water. The reason is that it has to be lifted up a little before it can be brought down. If the boat is in the water, there's no leverage to do this. If I get in the water and stand behind the boat, i'm lifting the back of the boat up with the motor. If i'm at a new ramp, I back the boat into the water and then walk behind it (yes--water up to my chest)to lower the motor before I take it off the trailer. That way, the leverage of boat on trailer is still there. The ramps that I go to now have proven fine for me to launch and retrieve the boat with the motor all the way down--makes it easier. All of these things are just bugs to be worked out when you get a new boat. What took me 30 minutes at the ramp to figure out at the beginning now just takes 3 minutes. Good luck. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it has shocks to help a bit, but it's all about<br />leverage and knowing where to stand/pull. now<br />it's easy.... <br />PS I have much more hair than Hulk (today) :rolleyes:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I never have problems getting it up! :p <br />sorry, couldn't resist guys...

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

PSS. try puting it in forward before lifting,<br />it unlocks it(rev. lock)on some motors.

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dutch, I bought one of those from bass pro and it works great. I would tie some sort of cord to it and attach the other end to the boat though just in case you drop it. <br /><br />Rich

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great idea. Although I thought they bolted on the motor. If I were gonna keep my old bass boat I would have brought one. Nothing ruined my trip more then jumping into cold water to raise your motor because you can't get any leverage on it. Then hope you don't freeze before the heater kicks in.<br /><br />Dutch

AcousticTX

Cadet

Well, I had my first successful launch today. Fortunatly the motor was pretty easy to lower once in the water. It was a two person job, one lifting on the motor while the other pulled the lever, but was on overall easy process. Thanks to everyone for their help and comments!